You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Advice on what mac, hard drives for Aperture, PS6 #1
Mary D's picture
by Mary D
January 6, 2015 - 1:41pm

Hi: I am about ready to buy a new Mac. I currently use a 2008 MacBook Pro (2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB) , and it bogs down when I use Photoshop. Any advice on what speed and memory to get if I go the iMac route?  I’d really like to keep it down to $1600  so am thinking a refurbished model if I can find one w/ 16 GB.

Also, any advice on hard drives to go with my iMac? Do others store their libraries on external HD? And does it take more space if referenced vs. managed? Right now all my libraries are managed.

Thanks in advance.

Mary D's picture
by Mary D
January 6, 2015 - 1:43pm

Plus, I’m a little concerned about Photos and keeping my Aperture 3.6 intact for future use. not sure if that plays into buying a computer now or not.

Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
January 7, 2015 - 7:40am

I recently bought a new rMBP w/ iTB HD mainly because I have a lot of Apps, not only for photography and because I plan on this laptop being in use for many more years to come so I wanted space to grow (updates to apps seem to be getting larger in file size). It has 16 GB of RAM and Aperture and PS just fly; so much better than my previous mid-2010 MBP which I boosted to 8 GB of RAM. About 90% of my photos are referenced.  I only keep the past year of photos managed.  So sometime mid year, 2014’s will be moved to my external HD.  I presently have a 2tb G-Tech HD (800 FW) but I plan on swapping this out for a thunderbolt 2 RAID system to go with my new rMBP and will use my present G-Tech as an offsite back up system to the new external drive.  I depends on how large your library of photos are as to your needs.  There are many portable 1 TB drives at really reasonable prices (I picked up a 1 TB WD for Mac for about $60 and use this when I travel) so that may be all you really need for now.  If you are going to be using an external HD for most of your photos, you do not need a large HD on your MBP.  I know a few photographers with much larger photo libraries that will use the 256 SSD drive for it’s speed and keep virtually everything else on a large external HD. I don’t think you really gain much speed by going from 2.6 to 2.8 GHz, for me RAM is where I’d put my money.  Good luck.

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Mary D's picture
by Mary D
January 17, 2015 - 6:46am

Thanks Florian, this was helpful.

I ended up buying a refurbished iMac w/ a 1TB fusion drive and the i7 quad core processor and 16 MB RAM. After reading what I could, and also thinking about what I wanted to do over the next 7 years (which I figure it will last, as my 2008 has made it nearly that long and still works like a champ), I thought the $$ for the processor would be to my benefit. I like your workflow of keeping the previous years referenced on an external HD and the current year managed. I’ll have to think about this as I tend to work by subject rather than by date. 

How difficult is it to move managed files to referenced? Especially if you don’t rename them as you’ve uploaded them to managed?

Thanks again.

** Mary

Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
January 17, 2015 - 7:58am

Mary,  Moving from managed to referenced is super easy.  Just choose the project(s) and then File>Relocate Originals as Project and then select where on your external HD or on your computer you want them to go.  For the Subfolder format I use the project name.  For the Name format I use “Version Name” since I already have my own personal preset for naming the images on import. That’s all there is to it. Hope this helps

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?