You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture photos won't sync: "Cannot be displayed on your iPod" #1
Lee Be's picture
by Lee Be
July 28, 2011 - 7:13am

Many of my photos will no longer sync from iTunes (Aperture photos) on my Macbook to my iPod Touch. For example, out of 250 photos, only 2 sync.

iTunes says:
“Some of your photos, including the photo “xxxx.jpg”, were not copied
to the iPod “Lee's iPod Touch” because they cannot be displayed on your iPod.”

These same photos synced fine from iPhoto, but awhile ago I switched to Aperture. I also recently installed Lion.

Any idea what can be done to rectify this? Thanks.

Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
July 28, 2011 - 9:06am

How many photos are your syncing? I had a problem with iTunes and my IPod. ITunes was trying to sync my entire 10K photo library rather than the few projects/albums I wanted. I had to go into the photo section of the iPod when it was attached to my computer and iTunes was up and click no for photos then re-select what I wanted and it worked just fine. It has not happened since. See if this helps.

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Lee Be's picture
by Lee Be
July 28, 2011 - 1:57pm

Even when trying to sync a project with 2 photos, I get this error.

Per your suggestion, I set photo sync to “No” in iTunes, hit Apply, but when I subsequently tried to sync two photos I got the same error.

Resetting the iPod Touch didn’t help either.

There are some photos that will indeed sync, but it isn’t clear why some work and most don’t.

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
July 28, 2011 - 9:30pm

It appears you’re not alone with this error. See this thread for a number of options. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/190113?threadID=190113&tstart=468

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 29, 2011 - 3:20am

Lee,

Try deleting the iPod Photo Cache. If you’re syncing photos in a folder in the Finder, that Cache folder will be in there. If you’re syncing from your Aperture Library, I believe that you’ll find a folder of the same name in your Aperture library if you right click on it and Show Package Contents. You should only do this while Aperture is not running, and of course back up your Library first in case something goes wrong.

But in past experience, deleting that cache can clear up a host of problems (not to mention freeing space… AFAIK even if you remove a photo from the iPod, the photo is still left behind in the cache)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Lee Be's picture
by Lee Be
July 29, 2011 - 3:46am

Joseph,

Thank you. Deleting the iPod Photo Cache folder in the Aperture (and iPhoto) library resolved the issue! I can now sync any and all photos again. :)

Apple also has some info on the iPod Photo Cache folders:
https://support.apple.com/kb/TS1314

Lee

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness