You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Family heirarchical keyword structure - reorganize? #1
Brian Houle's picture
by Brian Houle
January 1, 2014 - 3:33pm

Happy New Year folks!

I’ve started adding my old family 35mm slides and scans to Aperture.

I’m adding keywords and I’ve watched the Expert 0007 video, but I’m wondering if anyone else creates a family tree type structure? Am I maybe too crazy about getting too detailed? I realize it may be personal preference but wondering if it could work.

I’ll do my best to explain:

As I’m adding keywords (and yes, writing the IPTC data which I think is fantastic for future generations!), I’m noticing that I may want to create a smart album for one family (family C). That SA may contain individual photos of my Aunt, Uncle and cousins, who grouped together, form their ‘family C’.  From there, I may want to make a smart album of my Grandparents’ family A (including the C and B families)? 

2nd part to that question and incredibly important considering I’m already adding keywords: can I move keywords within the HUD to keep it organized?  ie. I’ve already created keywords for Family C individually, but could I move them to create the right hierarchy?

Man, I hope that makes sense.

I could always try what I’m describing, but wanted to know if someone else is in the same situation.

Cheers,
Brian

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
January 1, 2014 - 9:46pm

As far as I know you can’t move keywords round the tree. The way I get round it is just to create the keyword elsewhere then select the images with a smart album and add the new keyword. Bit of a pain but sometimes easier to do it the slow way than waste too much time trying to find a quick one.

d.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 2, 2014 - 7:19pm

You can drag-n-drop to move keywords, but keywords at the same level will always be alphabetical.

Brian Houle's picture
by Brian Houle
January 2, 2014 - 2:42pm

Thanks Walter and David. I’ll keep those in mind.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?