You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
iPhone not appearing for import #1
Jake McKee's picture
by Jake McKee
January 18, 2011 - 11:15am

When I plug in my iPhone to my MBP, Aperture 3 doesn't recognize that it's plugged in when I click the “Import” button.

The only way I can get Aperture to recognize the iPhone is to also start up iTunes at the same time. Given that having ANY other app open besides Aperture brings my computer to a grinding halt, I'd prefer to not have to open iTunes to do imports.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks!
Jake

Jaimie Harris's picture
by Jaimie Harris
January 18, 2011 - 9:34pm

Have you tried letting iTunes load and sync when you connect the iPhone and then quitting iTunes without disconnecting the iPhone. You can start up Aperture and import photos from the iPhone. A little long winded I admit but it works for me.

Jai

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 19, 2011 - 7:47am

Jake & Jamie,

This is a long-standing bug, and a frustrating one for sure. I’ve found sometimes just closing and re-opening the Import window fixes it, and other times relaunching Aperture helps.

I actually haven’t found that opening iTunes helps… so I guess this is a YMMV problem :(

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Jake McKee's picture
by Jake McKee
February 6, 2011 - 11:53pm

Just to close the loop on this one - I did something that finally and surprisingly made it work again. Not sure what, exactly. But when it wasn’t working right, I noticed that if iTunes was open, as well as Aperture, it would work consistently.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 9, 2011 - 10:51pm

I wonder if the problem is simply that the OS hasn’t finished counting the photos on the iPhone and has therefore not displayed it in Aperture yet. I’ve been working with iPhoto a bit recently, and noticed a similar issue—where the iPhone appeared to not show up. Finally I realized that if I launched Image Capture, I would see there that the iPhone was visible—and the app was counting photos. (My iPhone has over 1,000 photos on it, so this takes some time). Once Image Capture has tallied up the images, the iPhone appears in both Aperture and iPhoto.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?