LUMIX GH5 with Sean Robinson from Panasonic — A Conversation with PhotoJoseph
Interested in the GH5?
This Conversation with Sean Robinson, Associate Marketing Manager for LUMIX at Panasonic about the new LUMIX GH5 is the conversation you want to hear. It's a fantastically detailed listen for anyone interested in this camera.
This isn't another discussion of top features and major bullet points. We skipped all that and went straight to the deeper, less publicized details. We were looking for features and capabilities that haven't been picked up by the media yet, or weren't any of the major marketing talking points. The types of smaller features that you may not even discover until you've been using the GH5 for a while. The ones that make a subtle but significant difference and will really make you drool for this camera.
Here are the topics we touched on…
- Water resistance and freeze proof — what does this really mean?
- New lenses, mark II lenses, what they look like, and their new features and capabilities.
- Old lenses; how they’ll be brought along for the ride — and should you replace yours?
- What makes this camera awesome for the STILL photographer?
- Rolling shutter, color science, the Venus Engine 10, pixel sampling, overshooting/haloing, auto ISO.
- Focus technology; DFD (Depth from Defocus), focus points, focus tracking, focus prediction, custom focus configuration, focus control joystick.
- Battery / vertical grip; what it does, what it offers.
- Rear LCD screen and EVF; RGBW, bigger, brighter, awesomer.
- Full size HDMI port, USB C, the lock!, the future of tethering via firmware updates.
- Firmware update schedule.
- High resolution anamorphic; what does it mean, and it’s NOT 6K, to set the record straight!
- Basics of anamorphic and “open gate” in 4:3 aspect ratio, anamorphic bokeh, anamorphic optics from • SLR Magic and lenses from Cook.
- Pan-and-scan with 4K in high resolution mode.
- 5-axis stabilization; stabilized anamorphic!
- Continued validity of the GH4.
- LUT (Look up table) preview assist, waveform monitoring, and vector scope monitoring.
- YAGH replacement; the XLR DMWXLR1 adapter with phantom power, dual 96Khz 24-bit audio, monitoring, slight movement of the headphone jack to keep from interfering from the screen, overall benefit of shooting with the adapter.
- Dealer demos of the GH5!
- 5GHz Wifi and BlueTooth; overall benefits of it including faster connection and GPS logging.
- Copy settings (and sync timecode) between cameras (!!!)
And once you watch the show… what else do YOU want to know? Ask us anything in the comments!
Want to buy a GH5?
- Panasonic LUMIX GH5 [B&H - http://jal.bz/LUMIXGH5]
- Leica 12-60 lens [B&H - http://jal.bz/LUMIX12-60]
- LUMIX GH5 Battery Grip [B&H - http://jal.bz/BGGH5]