You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Adding Photos To Photo Stream #1
Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
October 17, 2012 - 7:01am

Have just created a shared photo stream and all is well the sharer can view them via a URL
Now I would like to add more photos and keep getting a drop down box like this Screen Shot 2012-10-16 at 22.48.32
I have tried it with a non edited photo so the file size has not increased.
My photo stream is a smart folder sorting by 5 stars
If I highlight all the photos in the stream and click share and create a new shared photo stream they all upload perfectly.

I expect its something simple would love some assistance.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 17, 2012 - 7:11am

Graham,

Well crap. That looks like an old bug coming back to haunt us. That was a problem with the original Photo Stream that was fixed quite some time ago.

To clarify, you said that your “photo stream is a smart folder sorting by 5 stars” however you can’t make a Photo Stream as a Smart Album so I assume you mean that you’ve made a Smart Album and are selecting photos from there to publish to the Photo Stream, right?

Anyway, you can create a new Shared Photo Stream with those other photos, but you just can’t add them to the existing Shared Photo Stream, right?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
October 17, 2012 - 7:21am

Yes I made a smart album 5 stared a load of photos from the project and shared the whole of the smart album.

Correct I can not share new photos with that photo stream even if I click share in the project or the smart album.

I thought I was being smart by creating a smart album and as the new 5 stared photos dropped in they would simply update. but the worked out I needed to highlight the non uploaded and share. this is when the box dropped down.

Hope I have made myself clear

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 17, 2012 - 7:36am

Yep, perfectly clear. Sounds like the old bug again then. Crap.

Digging around a bit… silly question but if you open your Aperture Preferences, under Photo Stream, the first option My Photo Stream is enabled, yes? This comes from another thread I read, and this was the solution although how it’d be working at all in the first place without that enabled is beyond me. But anyway, do check that preference.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
October 17, 2012 - 8:19am

So thats why you are called @ApertureExpert. No not a silly question.
No the first option My Photo Stream is not enabled. It is now and seems to be working fine.
The reason I did that was because I did not want photos from my iPhone showing up on aperture. When I turned on Photo Stream both the first option and the last were checked then I unchecked My Photo Stream I thought it might use up to much of my free space?

One thing I have noticed is that I can add the same photo more than once to the shared photo stream and it shows up twice in aperture 3 Photo Stream and also at the web address. But as of writing this Aperture is still updating photo stream and I think will go into sync mode so I will hopefully only end up with 1 of each photo. I will keep you posted unless ofcourse you know the answer already :-)
Just one more thing. I cant seem to tell in the project or the smart album which photos I have shared with photo stream there is no radio badge like in photo stream it self.

Thanks so much for your help tonight

Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
October 18, 2012 - 4:47am

Update

Just to let you know that I uploaded 1 photo Two times to the shared photo stream 01.30 GMT+1.00 this morning and left everything running Aperture 3 my iMac etc.
Had a look tonight and the two photos are still there. Is there a way to correct this automatically?
I also still can’t work out from the project which photos have been uploaded ie no badge

Thank you

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 18, 2012 - 5:38am

Graham,

Two things:

1. Photo Stream doesn’t use up any of your iCloud space. The only limits on Photo Stream are based on quantity of photos uploaded per hour (1,000) or per day (10,000). The Shared Photo Stream limits are the same numbers but separate from your main Photo Stream limits. The details are explained by Apple here.

2. You can get the Shared Photo Stream status of each photo in the Info panel of the Inspector. In the popup menu of the Info panel, select Sharing. If a photo is not shared it says “This photo has not been shared”. If it has been shared to Photo Stream it says “This photo has been shared with Photo Stream”. You have to click each photo one at a time to see its status in the info pane. It doesn’t tell you which Shared Photo Stream it is shared to. I tried to create a search filter for this status but couldn’t find a way to do it so it looks like you have to look at each photo to get it.

Thomas

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 18, 2012 - 5:58am

Third thing: Deleting dupes from Shared Photo Stream is a manual process but easy to do. Right-click a photo in the Shared Photo Stream and select “Delete from Photo Stream” (⌘⌫).

Thomas

Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
October 18, 2012 - 6:16pm

Thomas

Thanks for that sorted now.

1 I didn’t realise that thats really cool for a FREE account that I have.

2 Ah thats how I find out no wonder I could not find a badge (pity) but now I know.

3 Yeah have been. Dupes Eh!!!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness