You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Adjustment Presets on import? #1
MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
November 4, 2013 - 3:44pm

Hi Guys,
I thought I could set up adjustment presets on import, can't find the option anywhere or have I misread that somewhere
As you would be aware, Nikon picture controls and in camera settings don't come across on import, thought I could add a little saturation and definition etc until I get a preset I like
Is this possible
I did buy Joseph's Work Like a Pro in Aperture 3 but it was soon after I got the Mac and deleted it somehow
….Gary

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
November 4, 2013 - 9:19pm

To access your presets during import, make sure that “Effect Presets” is checked in the “Import Settings” list. Then in the “Effects Presets” panel in import settings, choose the effect from your predefined effects.

You can also apply the effect post-import which might give you more flexibility in that you can choose only the photos where you want to apply the preset. I would prefer this over having to remove the preset from a bunch of photos if it didn’t work as expected.

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
November 4, 2013 - 9:52pm

Thank you Jim
I guess then when I have adjusted to a particular “look”, I could just lift and stamp

Is there a way to add Saturation and Definition into those effect presets?

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
November 4, 2013 - 10:11pm

You don’t have to use Lift-and-Stamp (which IMO is a tool that has outlived it’s usefulness), although that would work. When you apply a preset to a selection of images using the Photos menu it gets applied to all the selected images.

Saturation and Definition can be added as a preset. The tricky part is they end up as one item in the preset, “Enhance” in this case.

If you haven’t done much with presets yet, you should take a look at “An Overview of Image Adjustments” in the Aperture manual. Lots of info there to get you started.

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
November 5, 2013 - 9:32am

Thanks Jim
Having a read now

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
November 5, 2013 - 10:20am

Wow!
There you go, I was only using the help option in Aperture
Looking further, I found the Apple Aperture Manual in PDF, it’s huge!
Thank you for steering me in the right direction, didn’t even know there was such a thing
Plus, with OSX, we have iBooks, have already downloaded!
Thanks so much Jim
….Gary

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
November 5, 2013 - 10:29am

Gary…glad to help. Aperture has a multitude of features, and it isn’t always easy to grasp everything. IMO, the Aperture manual is one of the better manuals out there for software applications.

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
November 5, 2013 - 1:57pm

Got it happening!
Will save heaps of time,
Might add a couple extra along the way

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness