You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Advice on compression choices for printing? #1
John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
March 3, 2014 - 3:29pm

I want to have some photos printed at a Fuji printing service shop. I want to chose the highest quality possible when it comes to exporting from Aperture. Any advice on choosing between JPEG, TIFF, PNG and PSD? Also, I suppose it would be best to chose a 16-bit over 8-bit setting when possible?

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
March 3, 2014 - 3:47pm

You need to ask the print shop what file formats and color profiles they accept that will produce the best looking print. If they accept 16-bit TIFF in Adobe RGB color space, that is the file format you should provide.

You also need to size your output file correctly based on print size. For that you need to know the native resolution of their printer. If they tell you 1440 dpi, your print should be a multiplier that goes evenly into 1440 (like 360 or 720 dpi). You then need to calculate your actual output pixels based on the size print you want. If you want 8x10, then 8x360 and 10x360 would be your output pixel dimensions (2880x3600 pixels). If you wanted 20x30, then you need 7200x10800 pixels. Make sense?

John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
March 4, 2014 - 1:12am

Walter–Thanks very much for going into this detail for me. I believe I can follow this and so work out the pixel settings I think best. I remember Fuji says it prints in 300 dpi. The shop is just a walk-in place where anyone can take in various memory cards and choose their own print sizes etc. at a print machine, so I’m not expecting it to provide the most sophisticated services, but I’ll check.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?