You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Advice needed: Problems viewing full screen photos on projector #1
Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
August 29, 2014 - 8:16pm

Situation:

MBP alu, ultimo 2008. Epson or other projectors.
Aperture, MBP screen shows browser, secondary viewer (projector) “alternate” i.e. full screen.
Connection between MBP and projector either using mini display port to VGA adapter or mini display port to HDMI adapter
Use: Showing photos on projector to a  group of people evaluating / judging photos. And in the near future i need this setup for a open photo competition for the judges to do their job, then i cannot rely on a system not showing correct photo.

4 problems:
1) false size of photo shown on projector
2) Projector defines screen resolution, less than HD/1080
3) Colors shown and brightness are very different if i use VGA or HDMI adapter
4) Often, the drop down tool list is not assessible on the projector, sometimes it is just hidden outside projector area, sometimes it is not there at all 

1:  I am having troubles showing photos in correct size and crop on the secondary viewer. Often, Aperture crops the view vertically or horizontally, so you will not see the correct composition of the photo. What to do to get projector/aperture to show exactly the correct photo size (which is shown on mbp-screen) ?
If i then shows 2 photos on projector, the crop is typically different, and each photo may change in crop depending of it is shown left or right on screen

2: Both projector and MBP is capable of full HD, but in MBP osx i mostly often cannot choose full HD as resolution for the projector. Any hint/reason/solution ?

3: Typically the HDMI gives way more bright, over saturated photos than when using VGA, on same projector. Any reason ? Any suggestions ?

4: This is a really annoying issue. Often, when discussing the photos, we try to make some post processing. When tools are not there, i need to switch to viewer on MBP to get the tools, then back again as browser. Maybe just a Aperture bug, but not consistent

Any help, suggestion or solutions are really welcome :-)

Thanks in advance

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
September 1, 2014 - 6:47pm

Nobody have any solution or knowledge ? 

Hoping…..

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 22, 2014 - 11:14pm

This sounds to me like it has nothing to do with Aperture; it's a problem with the hardware connection correct? Seems that way to me, at least.

1) false size of photo shown on projector

I think this is solved when the connection is correct, so let's jump ahead.

2) Projector defines screen resolution, less than HD/1080

Does your projector actually do 1920x1080? A projector has its own hardware limitations, and every projector has a native size. And not every projector communicates those options cleanly to the host computer. 

3) Colors shown and brightness are very different if i use VGA or HDMI adapter

Yes, of course. VGA is analog 640x480 connection, and should be avoided like the plague. HDMI will deliver digital HD (or better, depending on hardware) so will always be a better picture.

4) Often, the drop down tool list is not assessible on the projector, sometimes it is just hidden outside projector area, sometimes it is not there at all 

Possibly the projector is too low resolution? Hard to say without knowing the model of projector. You said “Epson or other projectors” but of course there are hundreds if not thousands of options. Check your projector model. Google the specs. See what the native resolution is. Then when connecting to your Mac, if you're not seeing that native resolution in the Displays preferences, hold down Option key when clicking on “Scaled” and you'll see every possible resolution — not all of which will work, but you may be able to trick it into projecting what you want.

Here's what I see on my iMac 27” when I click Scaled

But if I hold down Option and click Scaled, I get more resolutions:

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
February 11, 2015 - 9:52am

Thanks for your responses :-)

1)false size of images:
No this hasnt anything to do with the connection. Even if i run fully same screensize on projector and computer, sometimes photo sizes are cropped in one side or more sides on the projector. specially when showing more than one photo at at time.
I see it as an aperture glitch

2) are cleared in connection with 4)
3) I have been “trained” :-)
4) nothing to do with projector resolution, but it is related to aperture. Same connection, same projector, same settings, different aperture performance. Typically one or 2 restarts of Aperture is solving the problem, but really an annoyance that the tools is not there…..

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness