You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Analytics in Aperture websites #1
gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
March 17, 2012 - 4:15am

Anyone got any opinions on the best/easiest/fastest way to get analytics code into Aperture created websites. (Hoping that imminent future versions of Aperture give us some of iWebs neat widgetness).

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
March 22, 2012 - 12:22am

You could probably write an AppleScript to add the GA code to each html file in a designated folder. Here’s an Automator script to do this: http://automatorworld.com/archives/add-google-analytics/

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 17, 2012 - 4:21am

gfsymon,

I’d just stick with Google analytics, frankly. Or if you’re hosting on a SquareSpace site, their built in analytics rock.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
March 17, 2012 - 6:06pm

Thanks Joseph. The question was really about getting the code into Aperture created sites. It must reside on each page you want to track. I’m wondering about the most efficient tools for doing this.

(In the past I’ve used iWeb for quick and dirty sites and there, it’s easy, because there is an HTML widget that can do it. I’ve also used MobileMe galleries and just had to accept that I can’t do anything about it, but now that they’re going away and not assuming that Apple are going to give us better tools with a future version of Aperture … I’m looking for the least onerous method. :) )

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 17, 2012 - 11:55pm

gfsymon,

I’m thinking beyond the MobileMe closure. Of course I have no idea if anything will replace it for web publishing, but I kind of doubt it. Granted it was an easy solution for people but apparently it wasn’t popular enough, so Apple killed it. You can still export the web pages and upload them to your own server, but that’s obviously not ideal.

I think that there are so many options for web publishing these days that Apple just isn’t bothering. However you publish your gallery, you’ll have to look into tracking with that service specifically. But in general, you just put a little tracking code on the top level of your site, connect to Google, and start tracking.

@PhotoJoseph

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
March 18, 2012 - 5:21pm

Thanks for the reply Joseph, but I’m clearly not being clear. :)

I not looking for an alternative to MobileMe galleries. The issue is how to get a tracking code, simply and easily, into new sites I create in Aperture using ‘Web Pages’. These sites are not part of any existing site. I’m making them in Aperture and uploading to my webhost via ftp.

Tracking only works on pages that have the tracking code on them, or on sites which have an element from one page with the code, on every page you want to track, like a ‘header’ with the code in it. I don’t have that on these sites I’m making in Aperture using either Web-Journal or Web-Page features. So ‘top-level’ is not going to work.

I guess the answer is that I have to hand-code edit the index page each and every time I make a new site. I was hoping someone might know an easy/efficient way to do that.

d kenner's picture
by d kenner
March 19, 2012 - 12:30am

IMHO, pasting in the couple of Google Analytics lines is the path of least resistance.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 19, 2012 - 1:34am

gfsymon,

Gottcha… in that case, since you’re exporting .html files from Aperture and uploading those, just open the .html in a text editor and add the code there — wouldn’t that work?

@PhotoJoseph

d kenner's picture
by d kenner
March 19, 2012 - 2:36am

Joseph, That is how I do it. Before or after upload. (I can ssh onto the web server too). Both work equally well.

Rgds,

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
March 19, 2012 - 11:58pm

Yup … hand coding it in there will definitely work! I was just hoping someone might know a way of automating it a little. Always looking for ways to automate.:) :)

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?