You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
apertrue 3 won't open #1
richard fahrenholz's picture
by richard fahrenholz
December 19, 2010 - 6:00am

Tried to add some photos to the library….aperture said there was no room….now won't open at all.

richard fahrenholz's picture
by richard fahrenholz
January 9, 2011 - 3:06am

Joseph,

Sorry about the lack of information…we have a 3yr old Imac with 2gb memory 500gb hard drive….we are running 10.6.6 OS and Aperture 3.1.1 with 3.5.0 Camera Raw
Intel 2.8 Core duo processor. I am not sure if the Hard Drive is full…..we can now open Aperture and have turned off Previews when importing…..also have shrunk the size of our library…..but still get stopped (at times) when attempting to import….saying the Aperture library is full and does not have room for the import.

My wife does Sports Photography for multiple High Schools….usually loads 400-800 Jpeg immages per event then edits….down to 50-100 per event.

Richard

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 10, 2011 - 5:22am

Richard,

Absolutely sounds like your hard drive is full. Easy enough to look… open any Finder window, and at the bottom it will tell you how much is available. [screenshot]

If you have a 500GB hard drive, you should have about 50GB free (10%) or more for “overhead”.

You’ll need to free up some space asap. You can:

1) Start deleting unused files (I recommend downloading the free OmniDiskSweeper as a great way to find big files you didn’t even know were taking up space that you no longer need)…

2) Move content to an external hard drive, and/or…

3) Switch your Aperture library to Referenced instead of Managed (if you’re not familiar with that, I recommend looking into my eBook “In-Depth Getting Started with Aperture 3”) and moving your master files to an external drive.

The good news is that external drives are quite cheap these days. I’d buy something with a Firewire interface if you’re going to be using it for Aperture. I’m partial to G-Tech Drives.

Get at least a 1TB drive. And don’t forget that you’ll need to back it up!

Good luck,
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 19, 2010 - 8:45am

Richard,

For us to effectively help you, you’ll need to provide some more information.

Please tell us if your hard drive is full, first of all, since that’s what the original error seemed to be about. If so, you’ll need to free up some space immediately. It’s a bad idea for your hard drive to be completely full.

Tell us what kind of computer, what operating system and version of Aperture you’re running, and any other information you can think of please.

thanks
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?