You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture 3 and XML Sidecar Files #1
Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
June 14, 2012 - 5:03am

If I first edit a RAW/DNG file in Adobe Camera Raw in PS CS6 (i.e. open in ACR, make needed adjustments, and chose Done vs. Open in Photoshop), can Aperture 3 “read” either the XML sidecar, or recognized the changes made in DNG and import the image with those changes?

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
June 14, 2012 - 5:09am

No, the xml development metadata created by ACR can only be used by Adobe products … same goes for and such data stored by Aperture … Adobe and/or the camera maker’s RAW software products can’t use that information either … Aperture and ACR are quite different raw processors and each use their own special sauce to get the job done … they are not easily transposed between the apps … though I have heard of attempts to help with that … I don’t think they would be of much use.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 14, 2012 - 5:15am

Charles,

As Butch explains, the raw decode data can not be read by anything else, however metadata embedded in an XMP file can be read by Aperture.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
June 14, 2012 - 5:28am

Thanks - I’m kinda looking for a possible work-around by using PS CS6 to make heavy duty contrast adjustments (what I eluded to in a prior post). One possible fix would be to, after making the ACR adjustments, go into Photoshop and save as either a TIFF or PSD. Maybe?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 14, 2012 - 5:29am

Charles,

Try this script Open Master in Lightroom. You can probably modify it pretty easily to open in Photoshop instead?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
June 14, 2012 - 5:35am

It’ll work with LR4?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 14, 2012 - 5:36am

Charles,

I’m pretty sure it was tested before and works fine, but if not let me know and I’ll refund you.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
June 14, 2012 - 5:37am

I think I could handle 99 cents. Thanks for the suggestion.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness