You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture 3.1 - ApertureData.XML not updating #1
mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
December 11, 2010 - 6:08am

Ok, this is related to the iTunes sync issue, but as requested, I'm starting a new thread.

As far as I understand, the ApertureData.xml file within the Aperture library database should update every time you make edits to your library and exit. However, since I installed Aperture 3.1, this is not happening. The consequence of this means that devices that are syncing through iTunes to the Aperture library are not updating. For example, I may import photos into Aperture, but they don't show up as an option to sync to my iPad.

(as an aside, in 3.1, occasionally, the ApertureData.xml WOULD update, but it would contain no data, and this lead iTunes to believe there were no albums in Aperture - see the previous thread on this - I'm not sure if this problem still exists in 3.1.1)

I was hoping that 3.1.1 would fix this, but it hasn't. I've deleted preferences, but no luck there. The only thing that seems to consistently work to update my XML (some actions seem to occasionally cause it to update) is to rebuild the library, but this is a long process.

As suggested by Joseph, I've tried making a new library, and it APPEARS to seem to work as normal in the new library - updating the ApertureData.xml every time I make a change and exit. So why is my old library not doing it? I'm not the only one, as it seems a few other people have this issue of not being able to sync with iTunes as well.

No evidence here, but as a hunch, I think it may have to do with the TimeStamp file, which also does not update, and I assume it's supposed to.

Note that this appears to be different to the issue with the iLife media browser issue, as I can see my photos in mail.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 11, 2010 - 7:09am

Mr Kgoo,

Since you verified the problem doesn’t exist on a new library, let’s try converting your existing library into a new one. Start small; export out one or two projects as a new Library, and see if that new Library works properly. If it does, then try a full export. Select everything in your Library, and export as a New Library. It’ll take a while and you’ll need the extra disk space to do it, but maybe that’ll fix it.

Conversely, what I did once to fix an equally perplexing issue was to create a new, empty Library, and then import my existing library into it. Same tact; different direction.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
December 11, 2010 - 7:57am

Sounds like the way to go. Sadly, I was hoping to avoid this, as I don’t have the space, and may have to try moving the library off first. Does it retain albums structure, and all metadata? What if albums are not within the projects themselves? And referenced photos? I did a sort of sketch to aperture from iphoto, so I may have some unorthodox folder structure…

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
December 11, 2010 - 8:21am

Hmmm. Plot thickens. I don’t know why I didn’t look before, or maybe I did, and this is new to 3.1.1, but I checked the console logs:

11/12/10 10:06:45 AM Aperture[41074] shutting down, not creating new catalog files
11/12/10 10:06:45 AM Aperture[41074] shutting down, not creating new catalog files
11/12/10 10:06:45 AM Aperture[41074] failed to allocate backing for page: <DGImageJPEGCachePage:0x11c84ea30
Decoded:
<DGImageCachePage:0x11c84ea30 ROI:{{0, 0}, {360, 240}} format:RGBA8 colorSpace:<DGColorSpace: 0x11aa23c70 “Adobe RGB (1998)” (RGB, CoreGraphics default)>
<XTCachePage:0x11c84ea30 copy:0 backing:NO pinned:NO status:
<RKPreviewKey:0x11a7e98b0 db:4+nucnEBRQCvcuxLaqZLAg ver:3U8Vr3WfQ8WGeWrNUsIx8g seq:0
<DGImageKey:0x11a7e98b0 extent:{{0, 0}, {360, 240}} resolution:{360, 240} format:RGBA8 rotation:0 scaleQuality:0 tileIndex:-1 COW: 0 >>
(null)>>>

Maybe an image somewhere is causing an issue? Will look into it.

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
December 11, 2010 - 7:01pm

Have you tried repairing your library? It sounds like it may be either a permissions problem, or perhaps as you suggest a corrupt image/preview/thumbnail somewhere. Certainly, the first two steps of library repair are worth doing without hesitation.

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
December 12, 2010 - 2:52am

Yes, have tried those. Currently trying a complete preview rebuild, but that taes overnight.

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
December 12, 2010 - 5:01pm

Well, did a complete preview rebuild of my entire library. No luck. People are also reporting in the Apple Discussion forums that 3.1.1 hasn’t fixed this issue, so I’m not the only one.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 16, 2010 - 3:56am

Mr. Kgoo,

Have you tried importing into a clean Aperture library yet?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
December 17, 2010 - 6:14am

Joseph, not yet. i’m a bit loathe to do it at the moment, to be honest. I know the Aperture engineers are aware of the issue, so I’m confident they can eventually figure it out.

I guess that’s the caveat with these management programs - I love them doing what they do so much, I’ve perhaps become a little over-reliant to the point that I find it a bit hard to deal with change. :/

I did find some other weirdness. After my complete preview regeneration, I noticed all my older video files are no longer readable by QuickTime (and henc, any apple app). I removed them from aperture just in case.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness