8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture 3.1.3 Stability when Brushing #1
Tom Bracht's picture
by Tom Bracht
July 19, 2011 - 8:13am

Hi there

I'm experiencing some stability issues after the recent update to 3.1.3
Compared to the previous version, Aperture now seems very instable when brushing in adjustments. Especially when using the feather brush, the program grinds to a halt and eventually crashes completely. This does even happen while working on smaller RAW files from a Point and Shoot with a reasonable brush size of around 50-100 pixel. In addition to that, I noticed that the picture switches back and forth between normal display and a slightly optimised version much more aggressively than in version 3.1.2 Although this does seem to improve the performance while brushing, it makes working accurately a bit of a problem. I'm also suspecting that this new behaviour might be the reason for the increased instability. This update seems to have made some things worse in brushing-land.
Does anyone else experience similar issues? I'm working on a MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz with 4GB of RAM.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks
Tom

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 20, 2011 - 1:17pm

Tom,

I haven’t. I posted a tweet asking others to come by and respond if they’re seeing what you’re reporting!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
July 20, 2011 - 3:16pm

Lion/3.1.3: No such problems seen, but only worked shortly with this.

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
July 20, 2011 - 3:37pm

Snow Leopard/3.1.3: No such problem seen.

Tom Bracht's picture
by Tom Bracht
July 22, 2011 - 8:20am

Hi Joseph

I did some more tests. The brushing itself is fine. It starts to happen when you have a lot of active adjustments and you start to hit the memory limits of your machine. Especially when you run out of free memory allocated to graphics, Aperture becomes quite unstable and slow. At least under those circumstances it seems to crash more often than the previous version. Especially when processing the large-ish files from my 7D. As I ‘just’ have 4GB of RAM in my MacBook Pro and Aperture is very hungry, I’m hitting those limits regularly.
I wanted to find out if somebody else is experiencing similar issues, which doesn’t seem to be the case. I’m sorry if I posted a bit too hastily. It might be specific to my setup.

Many thanks for your help and tweeting about this!

Tom

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 22, 2011 - 8:22am

No worries Tom… all observations are valid, even hasty ones ;)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
July 23, 2011 - 4:34pm

Curious…..do you use the faster graphic card in your mbp ? As i also endures slow loading and such problems, i wonder if Lion´s implementation of the second graphic card really play well ?

regie hernandez's picture
by regie hernandez
November 20, 2012 - 5:50am

I do experience this big time. any help on how to manage this will greatly be appreciated

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?