You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture 3.3.2 + ML: Faces not autofinding faces? #1
mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
August 4, 2012 - 6:35pm

So it seems my current setup no longer finds certain faces. For example, my Wife who has thousands of images, when I import some obvious images of her, it finds a face, but it says it is unnamed.

When I view her faces page, normally new photos with her in it will show up below the line “She may be in photos below here”, but she doesn't anymore. Nor does my mother.

Interestingly, one of my newer face additions works fine.

So it's working for some, not others. I was jsut wodnering if any of the recent updates have caused anyone issues in this area?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 8, 2012 - 3:27am

Mr. Kgoo,

If you’re in the process of a rebuild, then yes Aperture will balloon and hog resources. I’ve had the same thing happen and I have 16 GB of RAM!

I can’t explain why but definitely agree that it sucks. It’s been a few days now since you posted this (sorry, took the weekend off) so how are things running now?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
August 8, 2012 - 6:58am

Oh yeah, sorry, it did finish overnight. It didn’t SEEM to fix my faces possibly non-problem. That is, it still doesn’t auto recognise my face, and put my name for example.

Not a big deal. Will just have to see if it gets better.

In regards to resources, it’s like the rest of moutain lion - some areas are blisteringly fast othersare excruciatingly slow. Maybe they are bugs and will be corrected. For example, processing raw images in aperture seems to be way faster (mind you I have an old non-unibody laptop), but faces has taken a huge dive.

Resources are taken up but I’ve never seen it to the point where the entire computer suffers from lack of ram and then even opening windows for even just finder becomes a chore. I can only chalk it up to ML’s memory management system. It’s meant toehold onto system resources more and smartly release them when needed elsewhere. Maybe it has not been fully optimised for .0 release, or maybe my machine is really on the lower edge. Not sure, so will wait and see for future updates.

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
August 4, 2012 - 9:19pm

Ok, I have a much bigger problem now.

I decided to do a rebuild of my library, as I typically do every now and again. Takes an hour or two.

However, something about aperture 3.3.2 or mountain lion, or the combination of both causes my aperture process to balloon in RAM use, gobbling up ALL my ram, and slowly eating away at hard drive space to use as swap.

I only have 6Gb ram, but currently it’s using 5GB real, and 7GB hd space..

And it looks like it’s at the restoring faces part and will take all night…

It has locked up my machine from being used at all. Nothing works because ram is all used up. I’m going t give it over night to see if it finishes, but this is very troubling. I’ve never had this happen in all my history of OS X.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?