You are here

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture 3.4 wont open! please help #1
Carlos Soto's picture
by Carlos Soto
September 20, 2012 - 8:36am

Hello guys. So I update the OSX to 10.8.2 and then made the update to Aperture 3.4. (I have a MBP quad core, 8 gigs RAM) The first time I tried to opened it Quit unexpectedly. And told me that I have some inconsistency on the aperture library, and suggested to fix my library so I did. And then each time I try to open Aperture It quits before it opens.
What do you guys suggest? I work Managed…

Thanks…

Bob Miller's picture
by Bob Miller
September 22, 2012 - 12:46am

Hello Everyone,
Good morning from Oregon! I upgraded as well and had issues with Aperture crashing while trying to open the application. Same issues as described above. I followed Johns recommendations from above and everything works fine now. This is just an FYI for everyone having the same problems.

Bob

Gray Fox's picture
by Gray Fox
September 22, 2012 - 2:17am

I’m posting this so the folks here can get an idea of how widespread this issue is.

I had the exact same issue today on my Air when upgrading to 3.4. I followed John’s instructions and Aperture now seems to be working.

Thanks John for the advice and Joseph for maintaining this site.

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
September 22, 2012 - 2:17am

I deleted my .plist file and Aperture opened without crashing. I then compared my old .plist file to the new one that had been created. After trying a few things, I have found the entry which was causing my crash. Removing these two lines stopped the crashes, and allowed me to keep all of my other configuration settings!

Here’s what I did (no guarantees this will help everyone. Please be careful and only do this if you’re comfortable with it)

1. Close Aperture
2. Edit Aperture’s plist file.

Near the top of the plist file, remove these two lines:

<key>IPHAccountTypeKey</key>
<string>IPHPublishServiceFacebook</string>

3. Save the file, reopen Aperture, and, at least for me, the problem was solved.

Tim

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
September 22, 2012 - 6:50am

Here’s Apple’s official stance on Aperture 3.4:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4412

Basically, reinstall Aperture and then reupdate.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
September 22, 2012 - 9:23am

I think everyone who’s updated to 3.4 should do a re-install even if you think it’s working. I had the crashing issue and supposedly fixed it by deleting Aperture preferences. The app was working fine except I couldn’t log back into Facebook. It appeared to log in and add Facebook to the WEB section but it wouldn’t upload any photos. After reinstalling it now works.

The 3.4 update screwed something up and deleting the plist file is likely only a temporary fix.

Refer to the support link above for how to do it.

Thomas

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
September 22, 2012 - 10:04am

I didn’t know there was a 3.4 version released. I haven’t received any update notices. Weird. I think I’ll stay with 3.3.2 for awhile. ;)

~Debbie

by Thomas Emmerich
September 22, 2012 - 11:37am

Debbie,

You won’t see Aperture 3.4 in SW Update until you update to to MacOS 10.7.5 if still using Lion or 10.8.2 if on Mountain Lion.

Thomas

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
September 23, 2012 - 5:08am

After repeated crashes, I eventually got a message box suggesting that I repair the database.

I did that and so far it has worked. Odd, as I had already rebuilt it completely.

To be honest, I am currently trialling Lightroom. Aperture seems to have had a lot of issues of one sort or another recently and still does not support one of my camera raw files (Fuji X-Pro 1) nearly 10 months after release, whereas LR does.

It’s a shame, but I have to say that Apple have not been as good generally with the attention to detail since Steve Jobs passed over. JMO but there seem to have been a lot more silly problems.

Bob Miller's picture
by Bob Miller
September 23, 2012 - 12:11pm

So if Apple is saying to delete the app and reinstall, I’ve been thinking about doing this. When I bought my iMac I purchased Aperture with it so I have a disk for the install. My question is, What about all the plug-in’s? How do I handle them? Thanks Bob

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 23, 2012 - 6:12pm

Reinstalling is definitely the solution, even recognized by Apple.

Solution to Aperture 3.4 Installation Problems.

You will not need to reinstall any plugins.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
September 23, 2012 - 9:29pm

Not to state the obvious, but it’s a tad poor when Apple’s software updates cause this level of embuggerance to their customers..!

by Thomas Emmerich
September 20, 2012 - 12:17pm

Carlos,

I had the same problem. Finally got it working.

I needed to first delete the Aperture preferences to get Aperture to open again (I read this online somewhere - maybe even on ApertureExpert).

I then had problems opening my library. The database became corrupted so I needed to rebuild the database (The bottom option when you hold down command-option while starting Aperture). It took a long time but I finally have it open. Not a pleasant experience.

Thomas

Carlos Soto's picture
by Carlos Soto
September 20, 2012 - 1:00pm

No luck, I rebuilt my database and each time I try to open it tells me that I need to repair the library again.

Maybe same people will benefit mffff.

Any other Ideas????

by Thomas Emmerich
September 20, 2012 - 1:04pm

Do you have another smaller library you can try to open? Or if not, create a new library just to see if you can get the app working. If that works then at least you know Aperture is working and the problem is with your library.

Thomas

vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
September 20, 2012 - 1:07pm

Carlos: this has worked for me. ( But i have not installed 3.4 yet) Drag your aperture library to iPhoto application. Or right click and choose open with iPhoto. If that opens your aperture library, then close it and it should open normally in aperture.

Carlos Soto's picture
by Carlos Soto
September 20, 2012 - 1:30pm

I did it!!!!… I copied the library in to the desktop and erased aperture… downloaded again and it made a new library… then I switched and bingo…

Thanks guys…

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 20, 2012 - 5:53pm

Glad to hear it’s sorted. This does sound a lot like the previous reports of non-opening libraries, and generally the fix was as simple as opening another Library (or creating a new one), then switching back to yours. This is even easier than the open-in-iPhoto trick, which may also help.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
September 20, 2012 - 10:48pm

Went through this same exercise yesterday.
Finally deleted the Aperture plist.
In the Finder choose Go to folder from the Go menu.
Type
~/Library/Preferences
in the “Go to the folder” field. Press the Go button.
Remove the “com.apple.Aperture.plist” file from the Preferences folder.
Restarted Aperture no problem.
John

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

russ Frayre's picture
by russ Frayre
September 21, 2012 - 12:15am

Thank You John Waugh….followed your directions and bam…it worked.

Thanks so much…Russell L. Frayre / Photographer, Cape Cod Images

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
September 21, 2012 - 12:18am

I had the opportunity to speak with Apple Pro Software Aperture support this morning.
They were getting quite a few calls regarding ths issue and will be coducting tests today regarding plist conflicts. Trashing the Aperture plist and reopening the software did cure the situation.
John

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness