You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture - Adobe Camera Raw Workflow #1
Paul Jones's picture
by Paul Jones
June 16, 2012 - 11:28pm

Am hoping someone can help with out as I seek to improve my current workflow. I use Aperture (3.3) mainly to mange my RAW files and do 99% of my work in Photoshop (CS6). I prefer using ACR to process my images, mainly because I like to open them as smart objects in Photoshop, so I can go back and edit the RAW file if needed during the editing process. At the minute, I have to right click on the photo in Aperture, choose show in Finder and it then opens in ACR. Choosing 'Edit with PS CS6' obviously converts the file to a TIF/PSD depending on whats set in preferences, which removes the possibility of tweaking the RAW file later (without going back to Aperture of course).

This is not ideal and I was hoping someone has a better way of doing this. I tried to create an Automator action but its not all that reliable. Any ideas would be appreciated as perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks,

Paul

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 17, 2012 - 2:46am

Try out the Open Master in Lightroom AppleScript. Modify it to open in ACR and you should be good to go.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Gary Greenberg's picture
by Gary Greenberg
February 5, 2013 - 7:40am

There is no way (not even Open Master in Lightroom script) to open an image in ACR from Aperture… even if you use a script to open it in bridge or photoshop, it will be converted to tiff first… ACR is not a standalone executable…

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 17, 2012 - 12:00am

I enjoy reading about everyones different workflows cus if gets to the basic foundation of what we know and understand at the time of make up OUR workflow.
I never learned or adapted Smart Objects due a number of reasons one being plan lazy. But I too use PS for every image I deliver to a client. I do lots of layering and chanel blending. So if you Show in finder and open the file in PS it makes a psd which is saved where? Can U import that new psd into the same project with the others? Is this what you are doing? When exporting the psd as a master next time you will have all the layers you need. Sorry I need to try your method out to fully understand and be able to reply, maybe later today. Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Paul Jones's picture
by Paul Jones
June 17, 2012 - 12:52am

Thanks for the reply. I only started using smart objects maybe 6 months ago and I can’t imagine working any other way now, especially when used with the NIK plugins, it gives me total flexibility. The only downside is that it makes things a little slower but for me its a small price to pay.

When I choose ‘show in finder’, I double click the file which opens it in ACR and then in Photoshop. I need to save this PSD. Currently I just keep my PSD inside the relevant project folder and don’t re-import it into Aperture. I may look into changing this though now that you mention it.

The real question is, is there a better way to open the RAW files from within Aperture? Say for example I make a selection of 10 images that I want to work on in Photoshop (via ACR first). At the minute I have 2 options:

1) Select one image at a time and choose ‘show in finder’. Choosing ‘show in finder’ with multiple images selected only show the first image in the finder.

2) Select the 10 images and ‘export masters’ to a temporary folder, then open these 10 images in ACR. I then have to delete the 10 RAW masters from the temporary folder.

Ideally, I want to select all the images I want to work on and be able to open them directly in ACR. I know this is not possible directly from Aperture at the minute but perhaps someone has a workaround.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 17, 2012 - 1:29am

#2 is what I do. I get ten images exported as Versions in 16bit on the desktop in a folder by the project name. You could export masters and work on the Raw files but I do some basic adjustments in aperture first. So I now have these 16bit tifs on the desktop, I can shut down Aperture if I want to and open PS. I then layer all the images with masks and layer modes inside a ps group folder. When done I rename that file toss all the others. I reimport the newly named file with an import preset called Re-Import back into the folder it came from. While the folder is on the desktop I copy it to another hard drive or burn to disk for the client. This works for me Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

rudi vir's picture
by rudi vir
April 14, 2013 - 12:20am

i use a plugin called catapult from brushed pixel.com
let me know if it helps

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness