You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture and iPhoto #1
Matthew Allen's picture
by Matthew Allen
August 14, 2012 - 3:25pm

Hi All,
New to the site and am after some input.
Apologies if the topic has been covered before.

Firstly let me start by saying I'm aware Aperture is a 'single' user library.

I've wanted to put my library on the NAS box for some time and point to that library from both mine and my wife's user accounts (on the same machine) - aware that only one should use it at any one time.
(*This works perfectly for the iTunes library.)
However, this never seemed to work and would come up with permission issues.

This week I did some more testing.
Start new library in /users/shared (from my login account).
Discovered that I STILL could not open that library from my wife's login account.
Opened iPhoto from my wife's login and said I wanted to open an Aperture library - was told permissions were not set right and iPhoto would try to rectify this. I let it.
I was then ABLE to open the Aperture library in Aperture from my wife's login, look and import a pic, close - then open the same library again from my login account.
(*Like iTunes, if I still had Aperture open and switched to my wife's login it would say it could not open the library as someone else had it open!)

Question is - do any of you learned users see any potential issues doing this?
I'm sure I can't be the first to discover this.

I want to know of any foreseeable potential issues before I do it to my actual library.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 14, 2012 - 3:36pm

Matthey,

Storing your Aperture library on a NAS is specifically NOT a supported workflow: “Network Drives (NAS) and Aperture”.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Matthew Allen's picture
by Matthew Allen
August 14, 2012 - 3:46pm

Joseph,
Thanks for the reply.
What are your thoughts with regard to now finding a way of allowing 2 or more people to use the same library?
If you ignore the fact that I mentioned wanting to store it on a NAS (My NAS is a 4 bay redundant RAID (Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4) with Gigabit Ethernet only supporting AFP - So it performs more than well enough, perhaps when you first wrote the linked post (2 years ago) performance was not what it is now.)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 15, 2012 - 2:49am

Matthew,

The NAS isn’t about performance, it’s about permissions, which from your opening post you already discovered. It’s also about the risk of simultaneous access, which can really mess things up. But even if you never accidentally accessed the library simultaneously, the way NAS handles permissions, Aperture doesn’t like it.

If you want multi user access, the old way is the best way — sneakernet. Just store your entire library on a drive large enough to accommodate everything and move that drive from location to location. If that’s not practical, store the Library on a smaller portable drive and the Originals themselves can live on the NAS (as the article describes), but the Library needs to be on a normal hard drive.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness