You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture and Photoshop #1
Andreas S's picture
by Andreas S
October 29, 2012 - 5:54pm

Hi! Found your site and got a lot of new input! thanks!
Yesterday I recognised a new problem while working with aperture. Sometimes I want to edit the pics in photoshop, what is usually working - sometimes saving back to aperture caused problems - but yesterday it didn´t work!!
Exporting the pic to ps5 worked (as psd, 16bit, 300dpi), then i worked on the pic in ps5 but i, for example, didn´t have every filter available and dont know why…but i got my result and saved….back in aperture the pic updated its preview and: just one plane of my work in photoshop was visible!? not the whole pic? then i tried to reduce the pic in photoshop to one plane…but the same result!? then i tried to save the pic out of photoshop as a tiff file and imported it as a new pic into aperture, didn´t work - got some colorfull snow in the half of the pic…!?
Whats going on there? can anybody help me?
And then a small sub-question: when i start editing a pic with ps out of aperture - does aperture make a new original? or is it an working-copy (dont know the correct english word of this but you understand)?? the pic with the sign “cirkle with dot”…!?
Thanks for helping me to come forward!! ;-)
Greetings from Austria!
Andreas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 30, 2012 - 1:27am

Andreas,

We have heard other reports of corrupt previews when coming back to Aperture from Nik HDR Efex Pro, but I haven’t heard it from Photoshop yet.

The first issue though (where you only see the top layer) sounds more like Photoshop isn’t saving out with a compatible preview. I think that’s a preference in Photoshop, something about Image Previews? You may want to look for that.

Since you then went back to Photoshop and flattened the file (at least that’s what it sounds like you’re saying) and the preview didn’t update, that could just be a case of needing to manually update the preview in Aperture. Look under the Photos menu for that command.

For your new Original question; when you first open an image from Aperture into any external editor, a new Original is created, yes. Aperture renders any adjustments you’ve made to the RAW file into a new TIF or PSD and then opens that in the editor. If you come back to Aperture, and do or don’t make changes to the file, what happens on the next Open in Editor depends on a few things. Read this article to fully understand it: “Open in Editor or Plug-in… Again”.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 30, 2012 - 2:03am

Or, maybe you’re having the same issue as these guys.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
October 30, 2012 - 2:07am

“for example, didn´t have every filter available and dont know why”

That’s because not all the filters in Photoshop (those installed with Ps by default and/or third party filters) are not 16 bit capable … if you want to use those grayed out filters, you can only do so with 8 bit images …

Andreas S's picture
by Andreas S
October 30, 2012 - 2:29am

Got it!!
I had a mask on the background layer! thats the reason… ;-)

another issue i discovered…
I set aperture export to “adobe RGB” and the colormanagement of ps5 also…but i had to adjust the export options for exporting working-copies too…these were set to sRGB and have to be/or can be set to a other color profile….

thanks for your help!!
Andreas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?