You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Auto Enhance #1
Lightscap3s.com's picture
by Lightscap3s.com
April 15, 2012 - 1:50am

Hello All ~ Novice here with a question:

I'm shooting in RAW using a Canon T3i, and I've setup my Aperture to auto enhance upon import. Therefore, which picture style should I set my camera to shoot in? It appears to me if the camera's picture style is set to auto, then some of the imported pictures look a little to vivid (others say it looks good). So now I'm thinking of setting the camera's picture style to neutral giving me a better baseline. Any suggestions?

Thanking you in advance

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 15, 2012 - 2:24am

The picture style settings in the camera only affect JPEG images (and possibly the JPEG preview embedded in the RAW image). When a RAW image is imported, Aperture will temporarily use the embedded JPEG preview (of the RAW file) to make it display faster but after a moment you’ll see Aperture’s own rendering of the RAW image. Aperture will ignore the picture style settings from the camera when it renders the RAW image.

If the camera’s picture style settings differ greatly from Aperture’s settings, you’ll see an initial image that suddenly changes when Aperture completes rendering the RAW image.

If you prefer the picture styles from the camera, you either need to shoot JPEG, or try to replicate those styles in Aperture and make it a preset, or use Canon’s own software which I believe does try to replicate the camera’s picture styles.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness