You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Books: Changing pages from Landscape to Portrait #1
Luke Pingel's picture
by Luke Pingel
March 20, 2012 - 11:48pm

Does anyone know how to change the page orientation in an Aperture Book from landscape to portrait. I've been “voluntold” that I am putting together a yearbook for an elementary school. Rather than experiment with a really cool Aperture Book, the crowd wants a carbon copy of every prior year, in look and feel. In trying to duplicate that, I've figured out picture layout, text boxes….everything. But I cannot seem to find a way to may the pages portrait (8.5x11) instead of landscape (11x8.5). Anyone have ideas?

Assuming I'm successful in getting the layout changed, will Apple support the printing, or do I have to send it to a third party? If so, any suggestions?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 21, 2012 - 12:28am

Luke,

I’ve got good news and bad news. And good news.

Good news is, you can create any custom size book that you like in Aperture. Bad news is, Apple will only print their specific few sizes, which are all landscape orientation. But the good news again is that you can export out a PDF and take it to any printer you like. Just research book printers, find one you like (cost, quality, etc.) and then build your book to their specifications. Do it in that order — don’t do your layout then find the book printer only to realize every page is a quarter inch too tall.

Here’s how you change layout, or create a new one. If you just change an existing book, chances are your flow will be completely messed up, so really you want to make the layout first, then add your photos. [screenshot]

To export out a PDF, just click “Print” then you’ll see your PDF options.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

holly mitchell's picture
by holly mitchell
September 17, 2012 - 9:53pm

Hi Joseph,
I am also wanting to do a portrait size book, and use Couture. I want to use one of Apertures themes like journal or travel. When I create a custom will it only give me a blank canvas? Or can I import those theme pages into my layout some how?

Or, if I choose custom I must create my own layouts?

Thanks,

Holly

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 18, 2012 - 1:23am

Holly,

Right, you can’t change the orientation of the built-in themes. So if you make your own custom layout, you have to start from scratch. Sorry!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert Have you signed up for the ApertureExpert mailing list?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?