You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
aperture cannot access this library #1
katy's picture
by katy
August 25, 2013 - 8:52am

I am completely confused. I use aperture everyday and today when I tried to open it I got the following message ” aperture cannot access this library” then it said to use this library, make sure its file permissions are set correctly”
So i opened aperture while holding down option and command and attempted to repair the file permissions. it attempted to repair permissions and after about 2 minutes it said ” could not enforce consistency of files” Then a box popped up saying “aperture cannot access this library. So then i tried opening it while holding down just the option key. This brought up all of my libraries but when I chose the library i use daily the same message came up.

Does anyone know how to fix this and/ or why it is happening?

I am using OSX 10.8.4 and aperture 3.4.5

thank you

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
August 25, 2013 - 10:19am

Katy,

Where is the library? External drive?

If you keep the library where another user can open it, the permissions get all messed up. The only reliable way more than one user can use the same library is if it is kept on an external disk with “ignore ownership” enabled for the entire disk. You enable this in the Get Info dialog (at the bottom) for the hard drive.

If you have the library in your Home folder, then I’m not sure what could have happened.

Thomas

katy's picture
by katy
August 25, 2013 - 10:25am

thank you for responding. The library is on an EHD A drobo 5d. I am the only user.

where is the home folder, how do I find this folder? thank you

by Thomas Emmerich
August 25, 2013 - 10:34am

The home folder is normally where all your files are stored. It isn’t actually named “home”. That’s just what it is sometimes called. The actual name is your short login name. For example, if your login name is katy, your home folder would be at /Macintosh HD/Users/katy

But since you are using the Drobo, the above explanation doesn’t matter. Has another user login on your Mac opened the library on the Drobo? How is the Drobo formatted? MacOS Extended?

I’ve never used a Drobo so I won’t be much more help to you. I don’t know all the differences between how a Drobo works compared to a standard external hard drive.

Thomas

katy's picture
by katy
August 25, 2013 - 10:37am

drobo is HSF+

how do i create another user login on my mac to see if it will open aperture

by Thomas Emmerich
August 25, 2013 - 10:55am

You don’t want another user to access the library. I mentioned it not because you should do it but because it is often the cause of symptoms like you describe.

Hopefully someone who also uses a Drobo will have more advice. I’m not sure what else to do if you’ve already tried the repair library routines.

Thomas

katy's picture
by katy
August 25, 2013 - 11:14am

ok, I have not repaired the library. I was scared to do that. Do you think I should try to repair it? Is there any risk in trying to repair it?

katy's picture
by katy
August 25, 2013 - 11:16am

the only thing i have tried is to repair the permissions and when I try to do that it quickly says “could not enforce consistency of files” and then the other window?box pops up saying I don’t have permission to access this library

Jim Pappas's picture
by Jim Pappas
August 25, 2013 - 12:49pm

Katy,

Before you do anything, I would make a backup of what you have so that you can always revert to your current situation. Also… do you have a backup of the drive from before the corruption occurred?

Given that the Drobo is direct attached storage (vs a NAS), it is unlikely that someone else accessed the library. This is good. I suspect that the issue is one of permissions on the Drobo itself. Like the previous poster, I do not have direct experience with the Drobo, so I cannot help you.

/Jim

/Jim Pappas

katy's picture
by katy
August 26, 2013 - 1:54am

ok, i think ifigured this out. I dont know how it happened but somehow my default library got changed from the library I use every day to an old library that I kept on an old EHD which I no longer use. This explains why it kept telling me I din;t have access to the library and also explains why i couldnt repair the permissions or repair the library. The library it was trying to open was on another drive which I no longer use. I have no idea how this happened. SO the great news is I can now access my aperture library. I just wish I knew what happened to cause this to happen. Many many thanks to all of you who offered me help. It was a long, stressful night trying to figure this all out

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness