You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture can't find originals #1
Judy Hancock's picture
by Judy Hancock
October 15, 2013 - 7:17am

I am working with a referenced library, with my originals on an external hard drive. My Aperture library can't find many of its originals, although I'm quite sure they are on the external drive.

How can I “teach” Aperture where the originals are, or in other words, how can I re-link the library to the files?

There is a similar question on the forums from about a year ago, but it seems to be unresolved. Can you help?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 15, 2013 - 7:22am

Select the affected images in the browser. Choose File->Relocate Original…

Use the resulting dialog to navigate to where the originals are located.

Sometimes Aperture doesn’t think a particular image is the right one. If you are sure about it you can hold down option which can allow it to be selected as the original.

You usually only need to pick one matching original in this dialog and Aperture will use it to find the rest.

Thomas

Judy Hancock's picture
by Judy Hancock
October 15, 2013 - 9:25am

Thanks for your reply, Thomas.

I tried this and got the message:

“Unavailable original files cannot be relocated. The selected original image is either offline or not found. Please reconnect it and try again.”

Which brings me back to my original dilemma.

Any suggestions?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 15, 2013 - 9:32am

Judy,

I’m embarrassed. Wrong command. You need File->Locate Referenced Files…

Relocate Originals is for changing the location on disk. You need them connected for this to work.

Sorry for the bad advice.

Tom

Thomas

Judy Hancock's picture
by Judy Hancock
October 15, 2013 - 10:05am

Thanks again, Thomas. It works for one photo at a time. Am I really going to have to relink each one individually? I have 1500 wedding photos that are unseen by my library, as well as countless others.

TIA

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
October 16, 2013 - 4:58am

If you select multiple photos, then reconnect one photo, then the others should also reconnect if they all have the same path. You don’t have to do it one at a time.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?