You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture causing posterizing around highlights #1
Steve R's picture
by Steve R
July 23, 2010 - 5:20am

Well, the title sort of says it all, but pictures are better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelostvertex/4818826666/sizes/l/

As the picture shows, I have tested the same raw file in ACR and DPP. The fact that the issue shows up in Finder as well(though faintly) seems to indicate the issue goes deeper than just aperture.

Any suggestion to try? Here is the example raw file I use, but it happens in many other photos as well.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7190611/_MG_2451.CR2.zip

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 26, 2010 - 8:35am

Steve,

That’s a type of halo that’s particularly hard to combat; I’ve seen it show up in every and any app at some point. Unfortunately it’s pretty bad there in Aperture (although much less noticeable at 100%; remember what you’re seeing on screen at anything other than 100% is an approximation of the file; to know what it really looks like at any given size, export it at that size and view at 100% zoom).

I was able to reduce the effect some by lowering the Boost in the Raw Fine Tuning, but I couldn’t get rid of it entirely.

Thanks for sharing the sample file. Please leave that there, if you don’t mind, so others can experiment. Perhaps someone will find a solution.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Steve R's picture
by Steve R
July 27, 2010 - 5:30am

Yes, I was able to help the issue slightly with the raw fine tuning, most helpful was hue boost. This still left the issue there to a fairly bad degree and of course messed with some of the other tones of the image. On the other hand I did have a fairly difficult time reproducing the effect in the same manner as aperture does in DPP or ACR when I tried. The only thing that would quite bring out the issue was to lower the exposure way down, and that leaves the rest of the image totally different :D

Ill leave the file up incase anyone has any idea to try. I am assuming that it should be pretty easy to reproduce simply by overexposing an area of highlight beyond recovery, with smooth transitions from it.

-Steve

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness