fresh re-install
rebuilt library
opened in 32 bit mode
opened while holding option
opened while holding shift
opened while holding option and command
deleted aperture 2 using app delete
deleted the System ID.
changed were the raw master are stored (i.e not that aperture 3 “library” file that you have to click on and say show package contents to see the masters.

I manage to work with it for a a few minutes last night but it crashed as soon as I clicked on another project in my library. It seems it crashes during “processing” of images or “previewing”.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gareth

Gareth Alexander's picture
by Gareth Alexander
August 6, 2011 - 12:49am

Hey Joseph,

So I installed Lion on my mac pro (I’m not in the middle of any projects, so it was safe to upgrade) and have snow leopard on my macbook pro. I imported the same batch of photo’s into my lion installed mac pro and edited and worked with aperture successfully for 2 or 3 hours with not one crash.

I did notice however in copy the raw files over to my mac pro from an external drive that a bunch of them wouldn’t copy and said file could not be written or read from (or something like that) and so I tried to copy them over individually and eventually got the all over to my mac pro.

Once I had done that the files that had the issue being copied did one of two things.

1. In the spilt view in the preview of the photo there was a exclamation point (!) 2.
2. The preview of the photo looked like some sort of weird interlaced/pixelated/half exposed version of the the photo and another photo in the same batch.

The same photo’s that were causing finder to choke or shut down are the same photo’s that wouldn’t fully render a preview. BUT it didn’t cause aperture to crash on my mac pro.

I’m wondering if I should attempt to install lion (once I have fully backed up my laptop) on my macbook pro or if there is something going on my in system on my macbook that is causing the issue, there are a couple of other weird signs that there maybe something funky going on with my OS.

Thanks
Gareth

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 6, 2011 - 4:05am

Gareth,

Are these the same photos you were having troubles with before, or totally new photos?

If new photos, perhaps your memory card is corrupting the files. Do you reformat your card after every use (in the camera I mean), or just delete? It’s generally good practice to reformat the card always.

Or, your card could just be dying. :(

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 9, 2011 - 10:09am

Gareth,

You said you opened while holding option and command, which would give you the repair library functions. Have you done any or all of those?

First thing to find out is if the problem is your library or your installation. The easy way to test this is to create a brand new library, import a few pictures and play around, and see if it crashes.

Launch Aperture 3 with the option key held down; this will give you the Library chooser. In the lower right corner, choose Create New… and save the new library anywhere you like. Import some photos, and start playing.

Let’s take it from there.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

by Gareth Alexander
July 9, 2011 - 12:10pm

Hey Joseph,

Thanks for the response. I had tried deleting and reinstalling the library.

I just tried your suggestion. I created a new test library. I imported some fresh photos I took this evening (about 5 or 6) on my Canon 60D into a test project. It was working fine I was scrolling through photos and such for about 10 or 15 minutes.

So I thought I would import some pics that I took on my Canon T1i last week at a wedding, it started to copy them from a folder on my desktop, I then got a message saying the following items could not be imported (or copied) one of them was a .mov file that I forgot I shot with my T1i, but there were about 4 or 5 items before I managed to look into it further it crashed.

by Gareth Alexander
July 19, 2011 - 11:04am

Hey Joseph,

Thanks for the response. I have updated everything. I’m on 3.1.3 now.

I was away for a week so that’s why I haven’t responded. I tried adding only 60D photo’s and it is still crashing. I will try and import just the photo’s and see if there is still and issue.

I was wondering, I was looking through the pics that I had copied over just in the finder window and there were certain images that caused the finder window to either (a) slow right down or (b) cause the finder window to actually shut down.

I don’t know if that helps. I thought it may some how be connected to my aperture crash issue.

Thanks
Gareth

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 20, 2011 - 1:16pm

Gareth,

Sounds like some corrupted files then. If the Finder is choking, Aperture almost certainly will.

Can you try a totally different batch of photos?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

by Gareth Alexander
August 9, 2011 - 12:21pm

Hey Joseph,

Thanks for the response.

Theses are the same photo’s I was having issues with before. I do format the card in the camera.

I have purchased just recently purchased a 16bg Panasonic SDHC card so I will double and the photo’s I shot with the new card caused aperture to crash on my laptop again. I have just gone out and purchased a hard drive to back up my hard drive with Carbon Copy Cloner. Once I have done that I am going to try a fresh install of everything that I can.

I will let you know in the next few days what the outcome is.

Thanks
Gareth

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 10, 2011 - 11:19am

Wow Gareth, what a pain. OK, glad you’re taking that next step.

Keep us posted

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 10, 2011 - 1:52am

Gareth,

I’ll assume that you’re fully up-to-date… you’ve run Software Update and everything is updated, yes?

It’s interesting that the 60D files were fine, and but the T1i files were not. Can you repeat the experiment, first adding 60D photos as before, then adding T1i photos only, and assuming all is well, proceed to T1i video? Perhaps those video files are causing the problem.

If they are, make sure the videos open and play fine in QuickTime Player. I may ask you to send me a small video so I can test here.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?