You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Export to Photoshop #1
Ben Klaus's picture
by Ben Klaus
January 25, 2010 - 2:18pm

I generally love Aperture and have been using for years. However, one thing i have a lot of problems with is the export to photoshop.

I would like to be able to save the tiff or psd with layer and also save a flattened version from within photoshop. I have not been able to figure out how to do “Save As” when I am in PS via Aperture in order to save it back to aperture in different formats. I can save somewhere and then import it back into aperture, but that is laborious.

Any better way? Thanks!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 26, 2010 - 3:21am

If I understand what you need, the solution is already built in to both Aperture and Photoshop.

In Aperture, set (menu) Aperture > Preferences… > Export “External Editor File Format” to PSD (you can choose 16-bit as well, but unless you know you need it, I’d suggest that you don’t). This will allow you to save layered PSD files (as opposed to flat TIF files) within Aperture. Keep in mind you can’t interact with the layers in Aperture, but they are still there. And if you choose to “open in editor” the same file — as long as you have NOT applied any further image adjustments to it — the original layered PSD file will re-open in Aperture.

In Photoshop, if you’re using CS4, it looks like you no longer have the option (requirement) to set “maintain compatibility), unless I’m just missing it. This was an option where Photoshop would save a flattened version of the file inside the PSD document, and this allowed apps like Aperture to see the complete file. It appears that this option is gone, which I suppose means it does it automatically. If you’re using CS3, then look for that option in the preferences.

All that means is you can view the file in Aperture.

NOW… if you’re trying to create multiple versions of the same Photoshop document and have those show up in Aperture, then yes you will likely have to Save As… then import them. However what you can also do is from Aperture, if you hold down Option when you right-click (or just option-control-click) the “edit with” menu changes to “edit a copy with”. That means Aperture will duplicate the file (whatever it may be) before it opens in the editor. SO… if you have a layered PSD file in Aperture, and now you want another version of that but want to retain the current file, just “edit a copy with” and you’re off to the races.

Does that make sense, and is that what you wanted? Sounds like a good tip topic to me… I’ll get writing ;-)
-joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Richard Lee's picture
by Richard Lee
January 29, 2010 - 9:36am

So you choose the PSD option (not the 16 bit PSD) in Preferences, and this allows you to retain the layers in the psd file. The 8 bit TIFF wouldn’t allow this option?

Thanks,

Rick

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 29, 2010 - 10:11am

Correct. TIF is a universal, compressible, flat format, not layered. PSD is Photoshop’s native format, which retains the photoshop layers.

Read more on the TIF format here if you’re interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagged_Image_File_Format

As a point of comparison, PNG (not an option here, just a comparison) is a format that doesn’t retain layers, but does retain transparency. PNG is the format used by the Mac OS when you make a screenshot, so that the rounded corners, transparency and even drop shadows are maintained.

Each format has its own unique abilities, and that’s why we have so many formats out there today. PSD is basically the most flexible format—but it’s also the largest file (so you don’t use it for final delivery).

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Ben Klaus's picture
by Ben Klaus
February 25, 2010 - 7:19am

Awesome! Thanks for the response. The “Edit Copy with Photoshop” will be a great addition to my workflow!!

By the way, the shortcut is Shift-Option-Command-O on a Mac to open a copy.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?