You are here

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture to iPad syncing original, not adjusted #1
rigmover's picture
by rigmover
April 26, 2012 - 12:36am

Ive process some photos in Aperture ok, then I sync though iTunes and the photos that appear on my iPad are not processed, just the originals unless they have been processed though Silver Efex pro then they do appear, am i doing something wrong?

Cheers

rigmover.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 26, 2012 - 2:05am

Mark,

Hmm… OK the images that are synced are the previews generated by Aperture. Do you by chance have automatic previews turned off? If so, then you would need to manually update them.

Easy way to know if a preview is updated is to drag it to the desktop from Aperture. If you see the adjusted version, you’re up to date. If you see something else, that’s the problem. You can manually update by choosing Photos > Update Preview or Generate Preview. If it seems stuck and won’t update, choose Delete Preview then generate a new one.

If on the other hand the images you drag out (and therefore the preview) is correct, but the wrong one is syncing in iTunes, then something else is up.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 26, 2012 - 3:04am

Another possible cause would be if you are creating new versions to make your adjustments and the versions are stacked. Only the stack pick gets synced to iPad. If this is what you are doing, make sure the photo in the stack you want synced is the stack pick or un-stack them.

Thomas

rigmover's picture
by rigmover
April 26, 2012 - 3:30am

Thanks Gents, I managed to do the Photos > Generate Preview thing and it looks like it worked. so how do i turn on automatic previews, if this is what i need to do to fix the problem?

Thanks again

rigmover.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 26, 2012 - 3:33am

Mark,

Project by project, here: [screenshot]

Globally, here: [screenshot]

And, read this: A Comprehensive Look at Thumbnails, Previews, and More in Aperture 3

@PhotoJoseph

rigmover's picture
by rigmover
April 26, 2012 - 4:03am

Thanks again Joseph, the photos i transferred to my iPad were in a Album and this option to “Maintain Previews” is greyed out, is that normal?
I looked at the Comprehensive guide and everything is correct in my settings.

Mark

rigmover.com

rigmover's picture
by rigmover
April 26, 2012 - 10:44pm

Hey i don’t know if this is linked but now i can’t export to dphoto using the plug in, this is going from bad to worst, need help, i don’t want to go back to Lightroom.

Thanks

rigmover.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 27, 2012 - 3:08am

Mark,

If “Maintain Previews” is greyed out, could that be because you’re looking at a Smart Album and not a normal Album?

When you say “you can’t export” can you tell me what is happening. “Can’t export” doesn’t tell me much of anything to help you with :)

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

rigmover's picture
by rigmover
April 27, 2012 - 3:18am

Just check it is definitely a Album not a smart Album.
I email dphoto, here is what i told them.

Hi Henry, it seems to be when i have “Version Preset” set to JPEG - Original Size it does not work, but if i change my “Version Preset” to fit within 1024 x 1024 then it works fine
Hope this helps

Thanks Joseph

rigmover.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 27, 2012 - 3:40am

Mark,

Sorry, my bad… select a project not an album to choose Maintain Previews.

On the export… again, what do you mean, “does not work”? You select the preset, you can’t even click Export? You click export and it uploads but you don’t see an image on the site? You click export and Aperture crashes? The dialog won’t dismiss? The dialog goes away but that’s it? What’s happening in the Activity monitor? Are you creating a new album on DPHOTO or uploading to an existing one? Public, private, password, what are the settings? Have you tried other settings?

I’m sorry Mark but you really do need to provide more information so we can help you.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

rigmover's picture
by rigmover
April 27, 2012 - 3:50am

If I’m on the “JPEG - Original Size” preset everything looks like its working but the photos don’t appear, if i change to “Version Preset” to fit within 1024 x 1024 then all works fine, but dphoto is not an issue, thats the least of my worries, if i can’t sync my adjusted photos to my iPad then i might as well throw the whole lot away, i’m not home 6 months of the year so need to blog from my iPad.

thanks again

rigmover.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 27, 2012 - 3:55am

Mark,

Ok sounds like DPHOTO will have to help you with that issue. You may want to send him a follow-up message with that extra info; he’ll likely ask the same questions himself :)

So for the Previews… did you try enabling it in a project instead of an album? Again my mistake saying “album” earlier when I meant project.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

rigmover's picture
by rigmover
April 27, 2012 - 4:01am

Yes i can enable it in the projects (with the tick)Maintain Previews for Project. but in the album Maintain Previews is greyed out.

Yeah i have sent dphoto screen shots and all the info they asked for.

Thanks

rigmover.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 27, 2012 - 4:07am

Mark,

You don’t need to enable in an album. An album is a subset of a project. If the images live in a project where previews are maintained, then those images will be maintained no matter where else they show up. Make sense?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

rigmover's picture
by rigmover
April 27, 2012 - 4:13am

Yeah that makes sense, ok so i don’t have to worry about that being greyed out, but i still get the original photos and not the adjusted one when i sync through iTunes. Any ideas?

Thanks

rigmover.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 27, 2012 - 4:16am

Mark,

Go back to what we said before… if you drag it to the desktop, which version are you seeing? If it’s not updating properly delete the previews and let it generate them again

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

rigmover's picture
by rigmover
April 27, 2012 - 4:28am

Yeah got that, have dragged it onto the desktop and photo is good, all correct.

Thanks

rigmover.com

rigmover's picture
by rigmover
April 27, 2012 - 4:53am

Hi Joseph, looks like it is sorted, i received an email from Apple support and they suggested i delete my photo cache as it may be corrupt, I’ve just done this and tested and all ok.

thanks you very much for your help and patience.

PS ill also try exporting to dphoto and let you know the outcome.

thanks again

rigmover.com

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness