You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture to iPhoto #1
Greg West's picture
by Greg West
March 27, 2012 - 10:36pm

I want to give my father my Aperture library of family photos which are sorted by year (not in metadata- they were originally scanned slides). What's the best way to get them into his iPhoto library?

Also, will Faces detection from Aperture be applied in iPhoto?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 28, 2012 - 1:37am

Greg,

There is no reverse-migration path from Aperture to iPhoto.

However what you can do is install Aperture, copy over the Aperture library, launch it and ensure that “share with iWork/etc.” is on, and then quit Aperture. Open iPhoto, and there’s an option (File menu?) to view the Aperture library. This allows you to drag a photo from the Aperture library into an iPhoto project, card, calendar, etc.

It’s not an ideal way to browse the library however, because you are limited to a pretty small window.

If you do this, then I’m pretty sure that Faces will show up in that window, but you’d have to test it to be sure.

Otherwise… you could just export JPGs from every project into folders of the project name (look at the folder options on export), and then reimport those into an iPhoto library. Faces data I’m quite sure would be gone at that point, although when exporting from Aperture you have the option to include Faces as keywords (check the preferences) so at least you could sort by keywords to find specific people.

Or, teach dad to use Aperture — that’s what I did ;-)

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?