You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Issues After Using Nikon View NX on Same Files #1
Daniel Cox's picture
by Daniel Cox
September 24, 2012 - 10:01pm

Has anyone else had issues with Aperture not recognizing NEF's after working with them in Nikon View NX? I started captioning in Nikon View NX since I don't trust Aperture to embed Metadata into original RAW files. When I reopen my Aperture catalog that contains RAW files processed through Nikon View I get the Black Window with Unsupported Image Format message. This was happening even before the newest Aperture update. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Daniel J. Cox

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 24, 2012 - 11:15pm

Daniel,

I can’t help as I’m not a Nikon shooter, but I am curious why you don’t trust Aperture? Did it corrupt a file once on writing EXIF back to the Original? I’ve never, ever heard of that happening.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Mike Boening's picture
by Mike Boening
September 25, 2012 - 2:43am

Dan
Are you trying to import RAW files from the new D600? Just wondering because I have that camera as well and so far the RAW type is not supported and I have to export them in View NX to make TIFFs to get into Apeture for now till apple gets the proper code out there for the D600.

Daniel Cox's picture
by Daniel Cox
September 25, 2012 - 6:58am

First to Joseph’s question.

As much as I love Aperture, I’ve had many issues with small to big problems. That being the case I’m reluctant to have Aperture write metadata to an original RAW file. Even Adobe doesn’t trust what they know about accessing RAW files since they provide side car files for metadata. I desperately would love to trust Aperture to write to the RAW file but unfortunately until Aperture becomes more stable I’m working through Nikon View for captioning and Aperture for everything else. I had a program, admittedly years ago, destroy 150 RAW images due to it accessing my originals. I can’t image that happening by the thousands. Yes, I do have backups of all original files but what a mess to get that all worked out if an issue would happen. Don’t want to go there.

Mike, Not a D600 yet but very soon. The issues I’m having are with D800 and D4 NEF’s. I spoke to Aperture support today and they’ve had a few other people with same problem. They’re working on it! Thanks for the feed back.

Daniel J. Cox

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?