You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture migration and library question #1
bjurasz's picture
by bjurasz
November 7, 2015 - 3:24am

When I migrated my main library from Aperture to Photos, I noticed something funny.  I migrated the file “Aperture Library” into Photos, and it created “Photos Library” from that.  Fair enough.  They are both roughly  300+ GB in size, and it appears everything came over.  And, as I understand it, they are now two separate libraries.  I can work in either one, and changes in one do not reflect in the other.  Two odd questions:

1)  If I trash the original Aperture Library I will not clobber the new Photos Library, correct?  It just removes the potential to work on those photos in the wrong application if I do that.

2)  Why do I also have a duplicate file, “Aperture Library”, with the very same name in the very same folder, of only about 7GB?

Thanks.

Bill Jurasz
Austin Texas

bjurasz's picture
by bjurasz
November 9, 2015 - 8:44pm

Looks like I can delete the original Aperture library, though it will save little additional space:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204476

I will do it anyway, so that we don’t accidentally go into Aperture to add photos or edit them.  Why allow the confusion?

But I’m also wondering about Time Machine.  How does Time Machine backup linked files?  Will I have two versions of each RAW file, for example?  Or does Time Machine do smart things with file links?

Bill Jurasz
Austin Texas

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 19, 2015 - 4:19am

I don’t know for sure about the RAW files and Time Machine. But I do know that the hard links that are used to share the same RAW file data between the two libraries is also the technology Time Machine uses to keep multiple backups without causing your backup disk to balloon in size. So I believe Time Machine will “do smart things with file links”. But I can’t prove it.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness