You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture needs time to process? #1
David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 11, 2013 - 1:48pm

Ive separated five years of work into five libraries to figure out were my bad files or rebuild problems exist. I now have this years and last years working fine. But in do all this and watching the activity Monitor and the page outs forming Ive realized that I may have been opening and closing AP too fast. Wanting to save ram for the next program that I had to work on next, I would open and close programs as fast as I can. I think that AP should be left on a little while after you are done so it can finish doing things in the background with all the data till the database is accounted for. I think that by jumping from one program to the next and then reopening later to do the same thing may have caused AP to get wacky. I know Im at the end of the life for this computer for high end Maxed out workflow. But I may not be helping the situation by rushing.

Has anyone else thought about leaving AP on for a while before shutting down?
I typed this so “My Precious” could rest.
DBM

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 12, 2013 - 7:02am

If you have Facebook or Flickr accounts signed into in Aperture, it spends a bit of time syncronizing them when Aperture first starts.

If you have Photo Stream enabled and auto import enabled, it will check your Photo Stream for new images on each start and spend a bit of time importing if you’ve taken photos with an iOS device or added to your stream on another computer.

How much time is spent probably depends on how many images are shared using those services. I have quite a few and it indeed takes a long time for Aperture to get responsive for me once I’ve started it. I can see “synchronizing” and “importing” in the status area upon first start.

Shutting down also takes a while. It is sharing previews.

My library is getting quite large (>400GB) and my computer is getting quite old (5 yrs) so it is taking longer and longer as time goes by.

Thomas

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 12, 2013 - 11:15pm

Thomas, tell me you are running a managed Library. Is that on your internal HD or External and how much free space to you have on that same HD?

I wasn’t using Facebook till after I separated all years in Lib to separate lib, but now I am. Photo Stream was added in the last year and I didnt think about that, thanks. Its just not AP that causes page outs PS will do it too even on a fresh start without running other programs first like AP. Mt lion is slower right? Tested Ram and even replaced it with other non Apple ram so I think I have eliminated that. Unless AP or PS do not like non Apple ram, its a possibility.

Anyway, watching ram used by AP in Activity Monitor told me that even after I was done doing something (Exporting, Adjustments etc) that ram use was still high for a while. In the past I would close AP and move on but till I get a newer machine Im letting “Precious” (AP) rest till its down to about 1% instead of 15-30%.

looking forward to new Pro hardware coming out, Lease time again.
Cheers
David

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

by Thomas Emmerich
April 13, 2013 - 4:05am

David,

I am using a managed library. I have a 2008 Mac Pro. I added an 240GB SSD in the 2nd optical bay which has the OS and applications. My user folders are on a 2TB drive. My Aperture libraries are actually on a 2nd internal 2TB drive. My 3rd internal drive has video for FCP X. My 4th drive is Time Machine which backs up user folders and Aperture. I connect an external drive to backup FCP X files using Chronosync.

One other upgrade I made was I replaced the graphics card with an ATI Radeon HD 5870.

For the most part my Mac Pro still works amazingly well for a 5 year old computer. The only thing that keeps me waiting is compressing video from FCP X.

Thomas

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 13, 2013 - 4:32am

Hi Thomas,

I too have an SSD for for apps and osx but Im on a MBP 2009. Wanting a new desktop to become the power of my work flow. Also would like a clean install of the MBP after a new machine is running. Thanks for all your answers on this site.

Joseph has been quite for awhile…wonder if he has been called back to the mother ship for special new training? <:0 hope so!

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

by Thomas Emmerich
April 13, 2013 - 5:33am

Joseph is a busy man getting ready for a big gallery showing.

Be careful going to that link if at work. There’s some nice looking ladies there.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?