You are here

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Quits when the Adjustment tab is selected #1
James Stevens's picture
by James Stevens
February 22, 2011 - 9:13pm

I recently installed two new texture presets. I was working with them for several hours, then tried to open Aperture and go to the Adjustment tab and now Aperture just quits. Any ideas?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 23, 2011 - 3:27am

James,

Sorry to hear that—hopefully it’s not related to my presets!

First thing would be to trash the preferences at ~/Library/Preferences/ — delete the com.apple.Aperture.plist file.

If that doesn’t solve it, then let’s remove the presets and see what happens. Since you can’t get into the preset window to delete them, move these files to the desktop (don’t delete) and try launching/selecting the Adjustments tab again:

go to: ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture/
remove: Adjustment Chain Presets.plist
remove: Adjustment Preset Brushing (folder)

If it takes the second to fix it, please let me know a few things so I can trouble shoot this more:

1. What Mac are you running and how much RAM do you have?
2. Get info on the folder “Adjustment Preset Brushing” and tell me how big that is
3. Did you have any other presets installed other than my PresetPacks #3 and #4? Either my #1, and/or any other presets?

thanks
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

James Stevens's picture
by James Stevens
February 24, 2011 - 6:05am

I transferred all of my projects, folders, etc. to another drive and the Adjustment panel worked for awhile, but then started crashing again. Guess I don’t have enough RAM. I’m using an iMac with a 2.8 GHz intel Core 2 duo, 4 GB of RAM and OS X 10.5.8. I saved the presets on my desktop so if I get more RAM, maybe I’ll try them again.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 24, 2011 - 8:03am

James,

Did you try the steps I outlined above? That information may be useful in helping you to permanently resolve the issue. 4GB RAM should be plenty.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

James Stevens's picture
by James Stevens
February 24, 2011 - 8:08am

Yeah. We (me and my computer friend next door) tried the first step and it still crashed, so we removed the folder and that did the trick.

James Stevens's picture
by James Stevens
February 24, 2011 - 8:16am

I didn’t have any other presets installed. I clicked on “reset to factory setting” and left it there. Don’t remember how big the “Adjustment Preset Brushing” folder was. I had not really used presets that much. Hope this helps. I had to reset my flickr export and facebook export, but that was nothing.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 25, 2011 - 12:03am

OK, let me know if you decide to pursue it again and hopefully we can get you up and running.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

markstephenson's picture
by markstephenson
February 25, 2011 - 4:08pm

I have the same problem as James. I deleted the files as instructed but the problem is still there.

James Stevens's picture
by James Stevens
February 25, 2011 - 8:52pm

Mark, Try deleting the entire chain and brushing folder. Once I did that I could get into the Adjustment panel in Aperture and then I reset everything to factory settings. That seemed to work. Mine is still ok.

Adam Miller's picture
by Adam Miller
February 27, 2011 - 5:55am

I’m having the same problem after installing the presets last night. I’ve been trouble shooting this for the last couple hours, have followed the steps listed and Aperture is still crashing : (

James Stevens's picture
by James Stevens
February 27, 2011 - 6:01am

Adam, Did you remove the entire Adjustment Preset Brushing folder. I found that just removing the Adjustment chain Presets.plist didn’t help. I also notice that the version I was working on when my quit still had the multiple curves graphs and they were active, so I deleted that version. Mine is still working ok. Good luck.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 27, 2011 - 6:08am

Guys,

I’m moving this thread to the Presets Support forum since this does appear to be related to them.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 27, 2011 - 6:19am

Question for all of you affected…

DO YOU HAVE OTHER PRESETS INSTALLED? It appears that most or all users reporting this have lots of other presets from manufacturers like Nik software installed. I’m trying to figure out if this is a memory leak, or what.

Also here’s a thought… with some plugins I recall when I updated to newer versions and/or to 64-bit, some of the old/32-bit ones were left behind. Compare your actual plugin list [screenshot] to what’s installed on your system. Look in your home folder Library at ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins and also in the main Library folder at Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins for a complete list.

Please copy/past these list into a response here and let me know what you’ve got…

MY 3RD PART PLUGINS INSTALLED INCLUDE: ___

MY PRESET PACKS INSTALLED INCLUDE: ___

I HAVE A TOTAL OF ___ FILTERS INSTALLED

MY MAC IS A ____ WITH ___ GB OF RAM

Thanks guys, we’ll figure this one out. And if anyone just can’t be bothered and wants a refund, just let me know. Fortunately there aren’t many users reporting problems but of course there’s always these fringe cases.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Adam Miller's picture
by Adam Miller
February 27, 2011 - 6:20am

Ok I went through the steps again and have it working.

Joseph

1. What Mac are you running and how much RAM do you have?
15 inch MBP…. http://www.twitpic.com/44332v

2. Get info on the folder “Adjustment Preset Brushing” and tell me how big that is
315.6 MB

3. Did you have any other presets installed other than my PresetPacks #3 and #4? Either my #1, and/or any other presets?
Yes. I’ve been using your #1 and your gradients as well as Sarah France’s packs and the Maccreate pack for months with no problems. I installed some vintage ones when you RTed about them the other day and they didn’t see to cause a problem either.

I worked with the texture presets last night and didn’t seem to have any problems. I shut down and experienced these problems when I started Aperture back up today. The other thing to note is that it wasn’t JUST when I clicked on the Adjustment Tab… it was also when I tried to import, change views, go into full screen mode. etc.

I’m just seeing your post about plugins. I have these installed… http://www.twitpic.com/4437mm

Hopefully this helps! Sorry for the disorganization but i’ve been working on this and i’m running late!

Adam

Neal Urban's picture
by Neal Urban
March 5, 2011 - 10:17am

I’m having the same issues and followed all the steps above. I’m usually good at this stuff and can’t seem to get it to work. I tried it all over again and now it freezes on import…

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 5, 2011 - 10:51am

Adam,

Sorry for the late reply… this is a new forum and I somehow didn’t have notifications turned on!

OK I think your issue is quite literally too many presets. I’m hoping to get more info from other users as well, but it seems to only affect those with a ton of stuff installed.

Do me a favor and uninstall the gradients presets from my original #1 pack. Those had caused some issues earlier and I’ve since stopped selling them. It all comes down to the size of the masks that are created, and those gradients did not compress well (unlike the noise/grain patterns). I’m curious; do you use the gradients much?

thanks for helping trouble shoot this. It really does point to an overloaded preset and plugin library, and it’s an issue I can’t get any traction with at Apple.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 5, 2011 - 10:52am

Neal,

Please scroll up a few posts and you’ll see that I’ve asked users to report back a bit of info on their setup. If you could do that I’d appreciate it, it’ll help us figure out the source of the problem.

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Neal Urban's picture
by Neal Urban
March 5, 2011 - 3:19pm

Okay I’ve tried multiple combinations and it seems like I can only have one of your presents installed at once. Whenever I try to add a second present that’s when all the freezing starts.

I installed #1, used it, no problems. Tried to install 3 or 4. Freezes. Then I uninstalled everything.

I installed #3, used it, no problems. Tried to install 1 or 4. Freezes. Then I uninstalled everything.

Same as above with #4.

I probably don’t have enough RAM either. I have a MBP 2GB RAM. I have 2 plug-ins installed - Photomatix & Silver Efx Pro

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 5, 2011 - 3:31pm

Neal,

That’s unfortunate, but also surprising that even with just two packs installed you’re having this problem. If you don’t want to deal with this anymore and would like a refund, just email your receipt back to me and I’ll take care of you.

If you do want to keep messing with it, go ahead and uninstall all the presets again, and then tell me the size of this folder after you’ve uninstalled:

~/Library/Application Support/Aperture/Adjustment Preset Brushing (folder)

You could also try resetting by removing the following files and installing again—but I’m very curious if after you uninstall, there’s anything left in the folder listed above.

go to: ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture/
remove: Adjustment Chain Presets.plist
remove: Adjustment Preset Brushing (folder)

Thanks, and again, if you don’t want to deal with it just send me your receipt and I’ll refund you.

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Melissa Reyerson's picture
by Melissa Reyerson
July 16, 2012 - 12:22pm

I am also having problems after importing the presets as Aperture was crashing as soon as I would hit the adjustments tab. After following the suggestions above it resolved the problem but every time I tried importing the presets again, even one of them, the same thing would happen.
I own an iMac with OS X 10.5.8 software and 2GB of memory and 15GB free on my hard drive.
If I update to Lion and update Aperture do you know if this will be resolved.
Also when I restarted my computer it deleted all of the presets off the hard drive although I was able to download them all again.
I really would like to keep the presets instead of getting a refund so if you know any solutions or ideas I am open to them.
Thanks,
Melissa

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?