You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Storage of Original Uploads #1
Tom Townsend's picture
by Tom Townsend
August 28, 2015 - 9:52pm

Can you help me –

I always uploaded RAW to Aperture. Then Photos came along.

Now I need some images, highest rez possible, that I uploaded to Aperture a long time ago. So I’ve found that Aperture Browser, and identified the images. When I export them as a TIFF, is it accessing the original image I uploaded, with the revisions applied, and at the resulting largest file size possible? Reason I ask: sometimes it exports an image of around 1 meg, which is very small, other times around 60 megs. Are these the revised masters, and if so, are they coming from the same place? Like an Aperture Library stored someplace separate from the browser,  I assume.

One more related question: sometimes I get this – “The selected original image is either offline or not found. Please reconnect it and try again.” How can I find that original library?

Thanks for any insight.

Tom

Krakatoa Sundra's picture
by Krakatoa Sundra
August 28, 2015 - 10:25pm

When you export, Aperture is rending those images off the master unless you select the export original. Also there are no revised masters since the originals are never changed. Are your raws referenced or library managed?

Robert Ke
twitter: rke21

also at:
instagram: rke21
facebook: outdoorphotographynow

Tom Townsend's picture
by Tom Townsend
August 28, 2015 - 10:29pm

Thanks a lot – I’m not sure whether they’re referenced or library managed – whichever is the default probably. I believe non-referenced, because I think a long time ago I almost went with referenced, and decided against it because of some downside I no longer remember.

Tom

Tom Townsend's picture
by Tom Townsend
August 28, 2015 - 10:53pm

Well so much for that – an image I just looked at says it is a referenced image. Would that relate to the question: sometimes I get this – “The selected original image is either offline or not found. Please reconnect it and try again.” How can I find that original library?

Tom

Tom Townsend's picture
by Tom Townsend
August 28, 2015 - 11:05pm

One more event that confuses me – why would a TIFF export (61 Megs) be so much larger than an export of the “Original” (1.6 megs) – which was RAW to start with? 

Thanks, I truly appreciate any answers.

Tom

by Krakatoa Sundra
August 28, 2015 - 11:09pm

sounds like it’s referenced and not library managed. you’ll need to make the originals available and unmodified. Then you can reconnect them by going to File -> Locate Reference File

Robert Ke

also at:

by Krakatoa Sundra
August 28, 2015 - 11:12pm

a TIFF file is much larger. 16-bit TIFF has 4 channels at 16bits each giving u 64 bits per color. In contrast, RAW only has 1 channel and it’s generally about 12 bits for 1 channel.

Robert Ke

also at:

Tom Townsend's picture
by Tom Townsend
August 30, 2015 - 7:36pm

Huge help – thanks Krakatoa. It’s always been in my mind that a TIFF was basically the same as RAW, assuming that RAW was as big as possible, being the original, uncompressed, but of course, you can add file size will any number of Photoshop and other revisions. Thanks a lot for that correction. Just for clarification, how would I go about doing what you said, ”you’ll need to make the originals available and unmodified.” For example, I assume if I can find the library containing the originals associated with the particular Aperture (I have a few across three hard-drives) – then, do I “make them unmodified”? I would have thought they are either already unmodified because they are originals, or worst case, I can’t find the originals. 

Tom

Tom Townsend's picture
by Tom Townsend
August 30, 2015 - 7:40pm

If I may, one more question –  when I move an Aperture library to an external hard drive – literally click and drag the icon labeled “Aperture Library” – do both the library of originals, and the browser interface of thumbnails travel together, as a default, unless I somehow deliberately separate them? 

Thanks again.

Tom

by Krakatoa Sundra
September 12, 2015 - 5:16pm

If you have raws, they should most likely be unmodified. The common modification people do to raw is convert to another raw format such as DNG.

If you move your library, there are 2 things that can happen. In library-management, everything including the original move. In referenced library, only the library move and the originals do not move.

There are advantages and disadvantage to both library managed and referenced library. If you have a lot of photos and you store then on multiple drives, it’s better to use referenced library. As your photo collection grow, you only need to add more drives. Yes, referenced library is more scalable. However, I use library managed setup. It is absolutely not scalable. It’s a pain when you run out disk space. I say when instead if because you will run out of space one day.

Robert Ke

also at:

rstreborg's picture
by rstreborg
September 16, 2015 - 12:17am

If you are referenced, use Apperture relocate command under File>Relocate Original… to move your original photos. Doing so allows Aperture to keep track of where your photos are located and you won’t have to reconnect them.

streborg

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?