You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture v iPhoto libraries #1
Ron Croft's picture
by Ron Croft
July 28, 2012 - 6:02am

I've just switched from Photo Mechanic to Aperture… all my images are now in a managed Aperture Library. However, I've discovered a rebuilt iPhoto '09 library that I have not used or looked at for a long time. That iPhoto library has many of the same images that have been imported into the Aperture Library. Are they duplicates? I'd like to delete that iPhoto Library to free up space but don't want to lose those images. Can I safely do this?

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
July 28, 2012 - 6:58am

I don’t think any of us have enough information to tell you if they are all duplicates or not. I certainly wouldn’t delete a library without being absolutely certain.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 28, 2012 - 5:11pm

Tim is correct. There’s no way to say for certain, and when it comes to deleting stuff, it’s best to be cautious!

If everything absolutely is managed, then yes, they *should* be duplicates. I would go through your iphoto library and see what photos are in there, and then make sure they’re also in Aperture and that Aperture confirms their status as managed. If it says managed, then those photo are indeed in your Aperture library.

Ron Croft's picture
by Ron Croft
July 29, 2012 - 2:24am

OK, Tim and Michael. Thanks. I’ll take your advice and be cautious. I’ve a lot to learn about the behavior of Aperture.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness