You are here

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Vault wont back up #1
katy's picture
by katy
May 4, 2013 - 9:25pm

Every time I try to update my vault the Beachball appears and spins endlessly. I end up having to force quit Aperture. I have tried to update a few times over the past few days and can't figure this out. My Aperture library is large and I try to update the vault regularly. I appreciate any and all help. Thank you, Katy

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
May 5, 2013 - 5:51am

Katy,

I’ve had this happen. I don’t have a solution to repair a vault that is acting up this way. What I do is just abandon that vault and create a new one. Once the new one is finished, delete the old one if you need the space.

This will take a long time if your library is large (as you say it is), but at least it should work.

Thomas

Brian Ziegler's picture
by Brian Ziegler
May 5, 2013 - 6:08am

Same issue here. I have multiple Aperture libraries and it happens with all of them. I built a new vault and then could not backup again to that vault. Seems to have started after 3.4.4 version. Very frustrating.

katy's picture
by katy
May 5, 2013 - 8:12am

Thanks for the responses. I just find it so frustrating and disconcerting; makes me wonder if everything is all right and being properly backed up in the vault. And now when I just opened aperture to create a new vault I got a message saying that multiple recent crashes could indicate an inconsistency in my database and i should run repair. That makes me even more nervous. So now I have to repair before I can create a new vault…. Ugh. Brian, out of curiosity why do you have multiple libraries? What is the advantage to this? Many thanks

katy's picture
by katy
May 7, 2013 - 8:12pm

I am so frustrated, now I cant create a new vault.So I have abandon the old vault and am rtying to make a new one. everything seems to be going ok until the bar shows its approximately 85 percent done and then the beach ball comes up and just spins forever. I am so frustrated at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried 2 times so far. I abandon the first attempt after 18 hours and now i am 17 hours in to trying to create a new vault for the 2nd time and the ball is just spinning. Should I just let it go on spinning? try something else? Thanks Katy

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
May 7, 2013 - 9:20pm

A lot of us have been there, you are not alone. I think of Ap like its a sports car and lots of maintenance on the system is regularly need. You have done this before most likely but it never hurts to do it again. Disk Utilities for HD preference repair, AP repair and Rebuild, move AP plist and cache files to desktop and be sure to reboot the machine before trying AP again. My guess (2cents) is Rebuild the lib. Do you get a beach ball or the spinning pizza when rebuilding?? YOu have plenty of ram and HD empty space? Lots of info in FAQ and keep us informed… we like good news. David

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

katy's picture
by katy
May 8, 2013 - 6:53am

David, what is the difference between a beach ball and the pizza? perhaps I am describing this wrong. I get a rainbow colored ball spinning around and around

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
May 8, 2013 - 7:31am

same thing just a different name used by some. When you see that you could open Activity monitor and look for Aperture in one of the lines. If it doesnt have “Aperture is not responding” in red next to it then let it run as long as you can stand it. Ive had “AP Not Responding show up for 5-10 min ant then go away all on its own. How did the rebuild go?

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

katy's picture
by katy
May 8, 2013 - 8:37am

David, thank you for responding, I really appreciate it. I force quit AP 2 hours ago and am currently rebuilding permissions on my Macintosh HD. I never looked at activity monitor while the beach ball was spinning….I think I will try to create a new vault ( for the 3rd time ) after I repair all the permissions.

I am scared to rebuild the aperture library, my biggest fear is loosing all of that data (which i why i always back up my vault and am so freaked out that this has happened ) I so hope this works! Thanks

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
May 8, 2013 - 8:44am

Rebuilding of the library may be necessary at this point. Ive done it alot and Rebuild is good for the overall lib. I have deleted one or two images afterwords by my choice but the rest of the lib worked again. cheers oops forgot to mention to backup!!!!! first, via copy.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

katy's picture
by katy
May 9, 2013 - 9:05pm

Ok…. I’m really stuck. I’ve done everything suggested and still can’t seem to create a vault.

I’ve tried to locate the aperture.plist file to remove it and restart AP, but the file does not exist…. anywhere. How can this be? It makes no sense that there is no plist file!

katy's picture
by katy
May 12, 2013 - 8:57am

it took 50 hours but I was able to create a new vault, thank you

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness