You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Wish list #1
waldhaus1's picture
by waldhaus1
January 29, 2014 - 7:31pm

Photo blogs and discussions regularly criticize Apple for not updating Aperture as frequently as Lightroom. A recent comment was that perhaps its better to switch to lightroom now before Apple admits it is going to abandon Aperture.

Having used Lightroom a little I still find Aperture superior to lightroom when it comes to file management (at least for the ways I feel comfortable managing files.) Lightroom does offer layers and graduated neutral density filters and other things like that - but nothing that can’t be added by editing in photoshop if you are willing to have that on your machine. My question is what do users feel they need aperture to do better.

Personal frustrations:

1) When doing travel photography and later editing the image in another time zone, the time zone of the editied image reflects the editing time zone rather than the capture time zone. While that can be corrected in the metadata menu it can be very annoying.

2) When editing in a plugin the edited version of a referenced file is often brought back in as a managed file. If you want to keep it with an original referenced file it has to be relocated. Not so hard, but something you need to remember to do if keeping it referenced is important to you.

3) When relocating files the protocol seems to follow the original import protocol. If it was set to file image by date and you point the menu to an already appropriately dated folder an extra folder with date is created - which can be confusing. Also if you are renaming the file at time of import the renaming will be repeated unless you remember to select version name or master in the rename drop down otherwise version xyz becomes version xyzxyz. I would like to have separate preferences of the relocate and import dialogs.

4) Nomenclature revision. For instance why not call “relocate referenced files” “move reference files” and “locate referenced files” “find referenced files.” And perhaps call the primary version of a file something other than version such as “primary”  or primary edit” to make it easier for newbies to realize that deletion of that file means deletion of the original. It seems to me the term version implies it is distinct from the original. How about a simple “rename file” command rather than the need to remember to invoke batch change?

5) Simplification of batch entry of keywords: Select a group of images and click on keyword you want. 

Not a long list and I suspect others can come up with more important changes but the regular criticism of Apple for its failure to update makes me wonder what people feel they are missing (and by extension what I am missing.) Of course it goes without saying that software problems need elimination. Basically the Aperture interface seems a lot more polished to me than does the lightroom interface. The tooltip display of metadata, the filters, and the interface just seems more polished to me.

Waldhaus1

bjurasz's picture
by bjurasz
January 29, 2014 - 7:49pm

I’d like:

1) The ability to import book templates, such as from third parties.  Especially important for user-defined book sizes (I usually order 10x10” books, for example).  Or at least an easier way to define and transfer page layouts to new books w/o having to duplicate an existing book.

2) Again in books, the ability to add a drop shadow for a photo.

3) Books once more, add more text style options.  I really like the stroke feature of Photoshop, which is very different from Apertures text outline.

4) Books again, more border options for photos, rather than just a variably sized line.  Perhaps integrate something like Photo Frames directly into Aperture.  Select a photo border on the fly while doing page layout.

5) While I’m on a roll with books, how about the ability to use PNG files with transparency?  Great for logos and embellishments.

Bill Jurasz
Austin Texas

bjurasz's picture
by bjurasz
January 31, 2014 - 4:29am

Oh, and PLEASE do Vault updates really have to be so freaking slow?  :(

Bill Jurasz
Austin Texas

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
February 2, 2014 - 7:30pm

To continue the books module wish list… I use the book module to create things that aren’t books (e.g. collage layouts and greeting cards). Some things that would be an improvement:

1) Make it easier to setup photo grids. Add alignment commands to automatically align selected photos like you can do in many other apps.

2) Don’t assume I’m creating a book that will get sent to Apple’s printer. Make it easier to create single page layouts.

3) Make it easy to save a finished layout back as an image in the library. Right now you have to use the Print to PDF menu in the print dialog.

4) I second the book template import and save/share request.

Thomas

CJack's picture
by CJack
February 6, 2014 - 6:08pm

1)  Please make available to third party developers what they need to create plugins that don’t require round tripping to TIFF for every available add on.  It lessens incentive to purchase new ones because t doesn’t matter now if there’s an Aperture version for XYZ if I already have it in my external editor, since there’s no advantage in an Aperture version, same round trip.  People would pay handsomely so there’s money to be made.  

2)  At least a few brush shapes.  Changing size and softness of a circle goes far but sometimes we need to have a large brush with a sharp edge.

3)  Selections!  Adding adjustments to selections would save so much time (and wrist) instead of having to brush everything in.

4)  A feather command.  Instead of spending a lot of time feathering brush areas for many seconds just have a command that feathers the whole adjustment by x amount.  Within a selection would be a bonus.

5)  Here’s my biggie:  To not be locked into an adjustment brick order!   Make “Add New Adjustment” not only offer it in series right after the first, and allow the added filters from the brush menu to not have to only go in the location they are assigned.  Currently,  for example, if you add these filters they can only go in the order Dodge, Polarize, Intensify Contrast, Blur, Definition, Vibrancy.  Putting Definition first or Blur last would give a different result.  Adding either by duplicating the main brick still puts it in only one place.

Jeff's picture
by Jeff
February 9, 2014 - 3:57pm

Focus Stacking PLEASE!  

Philip's picture
by Philip
February 9, 2014 - 4:53pm

A release date. Seriously, a release date.

Updated raw processor, raw lens correction, raw noise reduction.

redgraves's picture
by redgraves
February 9, 2014 - 6:36pm

Please make the import menu items ALL keep a list of recently used locations.  Also put a “clear” button on them so inadvertent entries can be eliminated.

Rafael - MyDarkroom.ca's picture
by Rafael - MyDarkroom.ca
February 9, 2014 - 7:06pm

I think that over the last 4 years we have all made our wish list for Aperture. I wonder how many have actually used the feedback form (Aperture -> Provide Aperture Feedback) to express their wishes. I hope most of us have since they actually read those (doubt they reply to most).

I recently posted two articles on a few things I would like to see on Aperture. First was related to the Library management and the second a few tweaks on the UI and Full Screen Mode. I did send the suggestions in but I hope, if they are not already incorporated in the new version of Aperture, it is already too late to add anything. I hope they are actually on the process of weeding out bugs and finessing the details prior to release.

I also empathize that Apple should at least give a hint, let someone slip a word, inadvertently post a screenshot about the new version. Doubt they will give a release date (if not met, would be seen as doomsday for Aperture future). I wish they would give us something to be excited about, doubt it would significantly cannibalize the sales of the current version. But that’s not the Apple way, it has never been. Doubt it would change now.

Cheers

Rafael

Don rabideau's picture
by Don rabideau
February 10, 2014 - 1:50am

They did publicly refute the rumors that Logic was dead last year. I think it’d alleviate some of the pessimism if they at least did the same for Aperture.

Rafael - MyDarkroom.ca's picture
by Rafael - MyDarkroom.ca
February 11, 2014 - 8:26am

I agree Don, they should at least reassure the user base about it’s future.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness