You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture/Iphoto Transfer to new Imac #1
Gally's picture
by Gally
November 19, 2012 - 1:20am

I am a new user to Aperture and was advised to import my Iphoto library by Mac tech support. This I did and found that albums/books created on one system are not editable on the other.

I did think that once imported there would only be one library not 2 and I could delete the old Iphoto library so save disk space on my MacMini

I am now looking to buy a new Imac and want to carefully transfer my library, removing duplicates along the way and cleaning up 5 years worth bad housekeeping. I have 11,000 family snaps and videos most of which I do not look at but want to keep.

Can somebody advise me on what would be a suitable strategy to end up with only one or more libraries in aperature so that life going forward is a lot cleaner, manageable and faster to access photos/videos and post them to sharing sites.

I don't want to transfer a mess on one machine to another machine but woudl rather spend time fixing the problem once and for all.

Thanks

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 29, 2012 - 10:40am

John,

Apologies for the delay. I’ve missed a lot of posts in the last month+ and am just catching up on the ones with zero replies.

The books that can’t be edited in one but can in the other is OK, because you can open the same library in either app. This is a feature with the new universal library.

You didn’t specify how or when you made the transition, but if you were coming from iPhoto to Aperture since the 3.3 release this June, then there shouldn’t have been an “import”, but all you needed to do was open one library in the other app.

Regardless, if you have two libraries now, hopefully one is current and the other hasn’t been touched since the migration. If so, I think it’s safe to delete the older one, but only you can know that for sure.

If you do have two libraries and they each have images that the other does not, but also has duplicates, there’s no easy solution. Personally I’d open them both side by side (one in iPhoto, one in Aperture), and start deleting everything in the iPhoto library that already exists in Aperture, then import that smaller library into your Aperture big one.

Does that help?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?