You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture/Mountain Lion Viewer Misalignment #1
Robert DeLaurentis's picture
by Robert DeLaurentis
July 31, 2012 - 4:08am

After updating to Mountain Lion, and subsequently updating everything else to current releases, Aperture on a 13” MacBook Air has a significant glitch. It only shows up when NOT in full screen mode.

In the viewer, the center is shifted toward the right roughly 30%. Whatever appears in the viewer disappears off the right limit of the screen. For example, in am empty library, under the Faces tab, the large information rectangle is partially hidden off to the right. In any library, the text at the bottom of the viewer (typically the number of items and the number selected) is shifted right. Two other symptoms: there is no filter or search controls in the top right, and that when browsing, half the thumbnails aren't in view, and no amount of scrolling will make them appear. Shift to full screen mode, the glitch disappears.

Restarting, resetting display preferences, new library, all tried, none worked. Somehow, Aperture isn't able to correctly determine where the center of the viewer is located.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks!
Bob

Robert DeLaurentis's picture
by Robert DeLaurentis
August 1, 2012 - 2:48am

Followup on this bug / behavior. I don’t have Aperture via the app store. I re-installed 3.1 via the Trial installer and opened it up with a new library, and the bug is still there. I updated Aperture to current version. Bug still there.

The right edge of the Aperture window is visible, but its drawn incorrectly. The raised region that encapsulates the viewer, the search box at the top right of the screen, and the thumbnail size slider at the bottom right are not there. The raised region has no right side, as if Aperture thinks the underlying Aperture window is wider than it actually is. Since thumbnails wrap “off the edge” most are missing. Aperture cannot be used except in Full Screen mode.

Documented here in the event someone else encounters this problem.

I’ve seen reports from others on a MBA 13” that all is well. Not sure if I want to dig into a full system rebuild right away to see if that’s the issue. One thing not tried yet because I just thought of it: a secondary user account.

Bingo! Not there under a Guest account. Must be a corrupt preferences file or some other support file in the user folder.

Bob

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 1, 2012 - 7:26am

Robert,

Sorry, I thought I replied to this yesterday but obviously did not.

I’m afraid your solution is far too simple. Your window, for whatever reason (usually has to do with connecting to an external monitor), is too big for your screen. To resize it, just click the third dot (green in the Finder, all grey in Pro Apps) to resize your window. [screenshot]

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?