You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Application is unresponsive #1
haftr's picture
by haftr
November 21, 2013 - 6:46am

I have an older imac and an equally old version of Aperture (2.1.4) with thousands of images stored in my library.  Everything worked well until I recently added my iPhoto Library to Aperture. Now, whenever I open Aperture, the Library screen comes up but the program is utterly unresponsive; the timing circle simply spins and spins endlessly. I’ve created a new user segment on my computer where Aperture opens and runs fine. Any ideas?

haftr

Tom McKay's picture
by Tom McKay
November 24, 2013 - 8:44pm

I would try the Repair Permissions/Repair/Rebuid Database when opening Aperture. Im sure you know how but just in case close Aperture if its running then Command/Option click to open Aperture. Chose all 3 options in turn. Might help.

You never have enough gear!

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
November 24, 2013 - 9:18pm

What version of iPhoto do you have? It may be too new and not compatible with your older version of Aperture. You probably need to upgrade your Aperture to the latest version. The latest iPhoto and Aperture can share the same libraries now.

haftr's picture
by haftr
November 27, 2013 - 4:18pm

The iPhoto is as old as the Aperture (2.1.4) and I’ve had no trouble adding images from one to the other before this. Prior to my problems, there were three short power outages, which might have corrupted some Aperture files. I have run the “Consistency Check” for over 12 hours, but it, too, seems to be stuck in an endless mode.

In desperation, I bought a new external hard drive and tried copying my Aperture library to it. I planned to run the “Rebuild Now” option after that was done. Everything ran fine for a few hours, and then I got message that the library could not be copied completely because of problems with some Aperture files; it did, however, appear to copy part of the library

So, now I have a 350 GB Aperture library on my main HD and a 110 GB Aperture library on my external drive, neither of which I can get to open. Would investing in something like Disc Warrior be the next step?

haftr

haftr's picture
by haftr
November 28, 2013 - 3:45am

I finally went ahead and rebuilt my Aperture library on my HD. Everything seems to be restored, so I’m now backing it all up on my external drive. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

haftr

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?