You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Auto-Enhance too extreme with Curves #1
Paul's picture
by Paul
December 14, 2013 - 8:58am

I have been re-visiting jpegs that I’d auto-enhanced with a previous version of Aperture. The auto-enhancing used to work really well. Now it effectively overexposes every photo by a really extreme adjustment of the Curves. If I manually use the auto Curves function I still get reasonable results, but auto-enhance is useless. Is there a way of adjusting the auto-enhance functionality back to how it worked in previous versions? Below  re screen shots that show what Curves was like using the old Aperture auto-enhance (“Before”), and what the latest version (3.5.1) now does (“After”). It’s no longer practical to auto-enhance when importing as all photos end up horrible!

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Before:

After:

Ulrich von Agris's picture
by Ulrich von Agris
December 14, 2013 - 11:59am

I don’t have this issue but I use raw files most of the time. Have you reset the old settings before applying auto enhance?

Scott's picture
by Scott
December 26, 2013 - 9:15pm

I am experiencing the same problem with raw images. I have migrated from an old MAC PRO tower, OS 10.7.5 with Aperture 3.4.3. to a New IMAC OS 10.9.1 with Aperture 3.5.1. The old machine does not have this problem. Does anyone know of a way to reset the auto enhance function to correct this?

Scott

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
December 28, 2013 - 1:55am

When revisiting old jpgs do you clear out all the old settings and then hit the Auto wand tool?   Or do you just leave the old adjustments there and do a new auto.  when I say clear out I mean clicking on the arrow in a half circle motion on the adjustment bricks?  Thanks dbm

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

HK_Nick's picture
by HK_Nick
January 15, 2014 - 10:53am

I have exactly the same problem with my RAW files (Canon) having just upgraded to Mavericks and 3.5.1.  I have read on the Apple forums that this has been recognised as a bug by Apple.

Another problem I have with 3.5.1 relates to the Auto White Balance.  Generally this will select Natural Grey (I tend to photograph landscapes).  In 3.4.5 and before I would normally thereafter switch to Temperature & Tint which would often give a more pleasing result.  In 3.5.1 when I do this, the Temp and Tint sliders end up at either one extreme or the other and the WB is obviously a mess.

After all the years of work I have put into my Aperture image libraries, I always dread upgrading … I didn’t really need these reminders as to why!!

Nick

Nick
Hong Kong

HK_Nick's picture
by HK_Nick
January 15, 2014 - 1:40pm

As a PS to my above post, I believe this may be specific to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M graphics card.  But nb this is unconfirmed.

Nick

Nick
Hong Kong

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
January 15, 2014 - 4:58pm

Hi HK Nix

I had the AWB problem prior to 3.5.1.  That fixed it for me.  Replace your preference first and see it that helps.   Then reinstall 3.5.1.  My best 2 cents or guess   Good luck

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

HK_Nick's picture
by HK_Nick
January 16, 2014 - 11:04am

Thank you David.  I tried both but to no avail.  I then called Apple and they confirmed that the issues I mention above, and one or two other minor points, are associated with the GeForce GTX 780M graphics card.

Hopefully they will fix it soon and, by way of further encouragement, I will file a bug report.

Nick
Hong Kong

HK_Nick's picture
by HK_Nick
February 12, 2014 - 7:47am

In case anyone is still monitoring this chain, not only did I file a bug report but had another go at calling Apple’s Aperture support a few days ago.  This time I was speaking to someone in Europe and was eventually asked to provide a screen video to demonstrate the issue.  End result is that the engineers are aware of the issues (as I’d been informed last month) but still no knowledge of when/if a fix will be forthcoming.

Unusually for Apple, they offered to exchange my now three-month old iMac for one with the smaller graphics card.  I declined.  Less unusually, this graphics card is still available as an upgrade to the iMac despite its issues when running Aperture.  Caveat emptor!

Nick
Hong Kong

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness