You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Auto Enhance #1
Gordon 's picture
by Gordon
October 17, 2012 - 3:47am

I have been working with AutoEnhance in 3.3 on a Macbook Air with Mountain Lion with over 2000 photos and think it works very well. Is there anyway that I could add ~ 50% Definition and a specific Edge Sharpening set of values so clicking the Auto Enhance would carry it out in just one click?
I find that the AE gets quite close to the look I want and use of Highlights and Shadows and the use of either of the auto buttons in curves on a per photo basis gets me very close for the majority of my needs.

Any comments would be most helpful.

Also a neat and easy way of getting a soft focus effect? I find iPhoto edge our not very good and using the blur brush applying blur to whole image and then using the brush in erasure mode works but is rather clumsy - Picasa does it much better! Again any suggections very welcome.

Gordonhbm

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 17, 2012 - 6:12am

Gordon,

To modify Auto Enhance, apply it to an image, add whatever else you want, then save that as a new Effect. Open the Effect Presets editor and put it in the #1 position, currently occupied by “Auto Enhance”. If memory serves, you don’t even have to name it Auto Enhance, but I could be wrong. I’m quite sure it does have to be in that #1 position though.

For the soft focus, you basically found the only way — apply the blur to the entire image and brush it out.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Gordon 's picture
by Gordon
October 17, 2012 - 10:42pm

Joseph,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have arrived at a saved preset which has all the Auto Enhance effects plus the values I wanted for Definition and Edge Sharpening.
I have placed this at the top - i.e. above the Auto Enhance but when I click on the Auto Enhance button top right in Adjustments pane I still get the original Auto Enhance (without my mods.)
I have tried renaming the new saved preset as Auto Enhance and re labled the original as Auto Enhance Original but this has made no difference.
If instead I go through the Effects button and select my new AE all works as expected and if I go through Photos and Add Effect to select the new AE then i can apply to batches.
Any idea as to how I modify the AE button at the top right of the Adjustments pane to get it to fall in line?

Gordonhbm

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 18, 2012 - 2:38am

Oh shoot, it appears that this changed then. We were able to do this before. I just tested myself and saw the same thing you did; I could not get the Auto Enhance button to use anything but its own default settings.

Sorry about that. It used to work!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Gordon 's picture
by Gordon
October 18, 2012 - 4:31am

Joseph,
Thanks for your help. Wish we could get that feature back! I wonder if it is buried somewhere and perhaps somebody else has a suggestion?

Gordonhbm

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?