You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
backing up a vault #1
katy's picture
by katy
July 17, 2012 - 3:57am

Ok, I have successfully created a vault on stored it on my Gdrive. I also want to create the vault on my drobo ( I am paranoid and don't want to risk losing data) So, I go to add a vault and when the box pops up saying Add vault, save as and where my drobo does not show up as an option. Any ideas? Thank s

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 18, 2012 - 4:06pm

Ah, ok. I see what you want to do. By default, I don’t believe Aperture allows vaults on networked drives. There are some ways to get around this however, they aren’t guaranteed to work properly according to this (http://archive.bagelturf.com/aparticles/vaults/vnet/index.php )

Here’s what I would try:
1. Create a new Vault in Aperture on the Gdrive and name it something new.
2. Copy the Vault from the Gdrive to the Drobo. (This could actually be the new, empty vault or the existing backed up one. Personally, I think copying the already complete vault over the the Drobo would work best.)
3. In Aperture select the new vault, and right click and select “Update Vault Path” and see if you can navigate to the drobo.

Here’s an article from a while ago:
http://archive.bagelturf.com/aparticles/vaults/vnet/index.php

katy's picture
by katy
July 18, 2012 - 8:05pm

I will check out these articles, thank you.

I had the same thought, I tried to copy my vault over to the Drobo; figured that would be a good run around and relatively easy…..As it started copying the vault the estimated time until completion was 5 days. I let it run a few hours thinking (hoping) the estimated time until completed would revise and shorten. It didn’t, it still said 5 days. I was afraid to run the gdrive like that for 5 days ( thought that might kill it) What do you think? Thx

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 17, 2012 - 7:40am

That sounds more like an issue with your Drobo or the Mac. If you go into Finder can you see the Drobo in the sidebar?

I keep two vaults as well, one on a portable drive, and also one on my Drobo, and I love it.

Off the top of my head, things to try:
1. Restart the Mac.
2. Restart your drobo. I would unplug it from the mac and then plug it back in once it loads.
3. If you’re on FW, try USB. (Firewire is sometimes finicky, and USB will make sure that there aren’t other problems. Then you can go back to firewire)
4. Use Disk Utility and “Verify” or “Repair” (If need be) the Drobo to make sure everything is OK.

katy's picture
by katy
July 17, 2012 - 8:50am

Yes, in Finder the drobo shows up
I’ve restarted the mac, makes no difference.
My drobo is not connected directly to my mac, its on a shared “network’ ( i think network is the correct word) I have 2 separate computers that have privileges on the drobo; could that be the issue?
Thanks

katy's picture
by katy
July 17, 2012 - 11:39am

A little more info, the drobo is on a shared network and it is plugged into the airport extreme. Could that be the issue? The Gdrive (which i loaded the vault onto with no problems) is plugged into my computer. Again, thx

katy's picture
by katy
July 18, 2012 - 9:07pm

Also, i just created an empty vault and copied to drobo. went back to aperture and tried update vault path but it was not an option. It was in light grey and would not let me click on it…will keep trying

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?