You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Backup Questions #1
Declan Fleming's picture
by Declan Fleming
September 10, 2012 - 2:28pm

Hi - I'm new, but I've searched through the forums to see if someone has dealt with this. Please forgive me if I've missed an answer.

Can I copy my Aperture Library to an ExFAT formatted drive, then copy it back to my internal drive (formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) and not lose anything?

I've actually tried it, and it SEEMS to work (pictures, projects, metadata, changes all seem ok), but the overall sizes of the Library copies don't seem to match. I'm really worried because I use CrashPlan to copy the Library off to their servers and now I'm not sure I can count on the copy I get back on a restore. I DID try a restore, that that Library also SEEMS ok.

Any insight here is appreciated!
Declan

Andrew Mumford's picture
by Andrew Mumford
September 11, 2012 - 4:39am

The only file system that is fully compatible with all Mac files’s is guess what … The Mac filesystem, hfs+.

Not having tried it I have no idea whether you would lose anything or not but then more importantly what I’m saying is

a. I would never do this.
b. If I did I would not be surprised if it didn’t.

For crashplan to work as designed it needs to back up the wanted data from a mac formatted hard drive - anything on the mac that uses’s resource forks to store data will almost certainly fail, plus you should expect to lose the proper mapping of permission’s and acl’s.

Long story short, Use only mac formatted drives, Mac OS extended (journaled) and the native crashplan app for the mac.

---
Andrew Mumford

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?