You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Batch "Importing" from 2 TB storage ?? #1
tim gemelli's picture
by tim gemelli
October 22, 2010 - 1:19am

I'm attempting to add 3 years worth of images to my Aperture library. The files are stored on a network storage drive in folders by date. I'd like to leave them there, so when importing to the library i chose to “store files in their current location” I just want Aperture to “see” the files so i can tag, add metadata, categorize, etc

the issue i'm having is i cant import folders, only files so the process is tediously long and time consuming. Is there a way to import large folders at once rather than opening the folder, checking all, then import?

I know i can drag the folders from Finder into the project sidebar, but that will copy the images and eat up space on my macbook… any suggestions?

harringg's picture
by harringg
October 22, 2010 - 7:35am

When dragging from the Finder, hold the Cmd-Option keys and the icon will change to a curved arrow (alias). This creates drag-drop Referenced images very quickly and easily.

My workflow is to empty my card to an external HDD, rename using a custom droplet created in A Better Finder Rename, and then Cmd-Option drag the images to my Aperture library.

Hope this helps

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 24, 2010 - 12:16am

Tim,

harringg is right; holding down Command-Option on drag will import as referenced. I wrote an article about that here: Importing to Aperture as Referenced—with Drag and Drop.

You have another option though that may be better suited to your needs, and that’s to use the menu command File > Import > Folders as Projects…. You’ll have a few options there, including to Store Files: In their current location.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness