You are here

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Beachball when iPhone videos selected #1
Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
August 16, 2011 - 8:49pm

Whenever I select a video imported from my iPhone (or happen to hit one when arrowing through a project), I get a spinning beachball and have to sit and wait about 10 seconds. I eventually get a message “Unsupported video format”. Two questions - why is Apple's video format unsupported by an Apple product?!? Do we have any indication if this is a temporary situation that will be rectified, or is this something that I should get used to? Second, is there anything that I can do (short of removing my videos) to eliminate the beachball & lag time when navigating through my collection?

Note that while I don't think I could view the vids pre-Lion, I don't think the beachball / lag time was there.

Thank you!

Tim

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
August 23, 2011 - 8:40pm

I tried several of the suggestions to try to correct this, but my vids still didn’t display properly, so I put the issue aside.

This morning, I noticed that some older vids were displaying properly, but the recent vids were still showing as “Unsupported Format”. I decided to see what would happen if I re-imported them, so I exported one and imported it again, and it now displays properly. I’m not sure why, but it appears that any video imported while I had the bad codecs on my system need to be exported and re-imported in order to display properly.

Thank you everyone for your assistance!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 17, 2011 - 2:46am

Tim,

You’re not the first to report this (unless that was you asking about it on Twitter?) but I’ve tested it myself and it works no problem.

The fact that you couldn’t view the videos pre-Lion though tells me something else is wrong. Aperture just plays back the QuickTime movie. If QuickTime can play it, then Aperture should be able to play it.

Can you open the video in QuickTime Player? If so, then you have an Aperture specific issue. Create a brand new library, and import iPhone videos to there and see what happens. If they still won’t play, create a new user, and then a new Aperture library, and import. If they still won’t play… well let’s cross that bridge if we come to it.

If you can’t play the movies in QT Player, then it’s an OS issue. I’d reinstall the OS, although it’s certainly odd that a Lion installation didn’t fix it.

I’ll wait for your response before suggesting more…

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Bob Cotter's picture
by Bob Cotter
August 17, 2011 - 7:35am

Thanks for these ideas, Joseph. I have not tried them.

I do have the same issue and on the Apple Discussion board others do as well, but nothing from Apple as of yet. Here is what I posted on the board…

I have 3.1.3 version of Aperture and am running Lion. Since the upgrade movies I shoot on the iPhone are showing in Aperture as “Unsupported Video Format” and I cannot view them.

Sure one would think that and Apple phone and Apple software would work properly on an Apple computer.

I have an iMac 3.3ghz with 4mb ram

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 17, 2011 - 8:06am

Bob,

Thanks, and please do let me know what you find when you try my suggestions. Hopefully Tim will be able to try it out as well.

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
August 17, 2011 - 10:59am

Yes, I can open the videos in QuickTime, by simply right clicking and selecting the option. They view fine there.

I created a brand new library, imported one of the vids, and had the same spinning beachball, and unsupported message.

I remembered trying to get some older image formats working by installing software caller Perian (v. 1.2.2) I also have Flip4Mac installed. Could these be interfering?

I haven’t yet tried the new user.

Tim

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 17, 2011 - 11:51am

Tim,

If you have Perian, that could well be it. I was just looking at the website and while they did an update in July (v.1.2.3), there’s no indication of Lion compatibility. I’d remove it to start, and if that fixes the problem, try installing again. There’s removal instructions at the top of this page: perian.org/#support.

I suppose Flip4Mac could be causing problems as well, but I’d start with Perian.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
August 17, 2011 - 12:10pm

Another datapoint: I have Flip4Mac installed and all my movies work fine in Aperture. I have movies from a Nikon L11, Canon SD1100IS, Canon T2i and iPhone 4.

I do not have Perian so that is the leading candidate.

Thomas

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
August 17, 2011 - 8:44pm

I removed both Perian and Flip4Mac, rebooted, installed the OSX update, and also created a new user with a new library. Still the same beachball & error message. Any other suggestions?

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
August 17, 2011 - 8:56pm

Now we’re getting somewhere… I decided to check the Console Logs, and each time I hit one of the vids, I get error messages like this:

6:50:04 AM kernel: Data/Stack execution not permitted: com.apple.qtkits[pid 7450 at virtual address 0x4cc8000, protections were read-write
6:50:05 AM com.apple.launchd: (com.apple.qtkitserver[745]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error: 10
6:50:05 AM ReportCrash: Saved crash report for com.apple.qtkitserver[745] version 1.0 (1) to ….

The first few lines of the linked crash report are:

Process: com.apple.qtkitserver [745]
Path: /System/Library/XPCServices/com.apple.qtkitserver.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.qtkitserver
Identifier: com.apple.qtkitserver
Version: 1.0 (1)
Build Info: QuickTime-2246000000000000~1
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  ??? [1]

Date/Time: 2011-08-17 06:50:04.946 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.1 (11B26)
Report Version: 9

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000004cc8cbe

VM Regions Near 0x4cc8cbe:
__TEXT 0000000004bf2000-0000000004cc2000 [ 832K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Library/Application Support/3ivx/*.dylib
–> __DATA 0000000004cc2000-0000000004cfc000 [ 232K] rw-/rwx SM=COW /Library/Application Support/3ivx/*.dylib
__DATA 0000000004cfc000-0000000004d1c000 [ 128K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV /Library/Application Support/3ivx/*.dylib

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
August 17, 2011 - 10:29pm

Using the above information, I searched on “3ivx” and found that it was another MPEG codec set that I tried in an attempt to get some old photos to display properly. Since this is where the error was coming from, I uninstalled and rebooted. I am no longer getting a delay / beachball, and no error in the logs. That’s an improvement! However, all of the vids still say “Unsupported Video Format”.

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
August 17, 2011 - 10:38pm

According to the Wikipedia page for 3ivx, “Uninstalling 3ivx does not reset the 3IVX.dll file if the media players have been updated. Uninstalling and restoring the media players does not solve the problem as Windows still associates them to 3IVX.dll which is expired or been uninstalled. Therefore .mp4 files can not be played in QuickTime or iTunes where Windows is seeking the absent 3IVX.dll. Installing 3ivx MPEG-4 5.0 or greater will correct the issue (you can then uninstall if you wish).”

Unfortunately, I can’t install the latest version (just so that I can uninstall), because it errors out with “Power PC Apps are no longer supported”. Grrr.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 18, 2011 - 3:19am

Tim,

Awesome sleuthing! You’ve been busy :)

I just did a little googling and found this note on this forum https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3206305:

Ok, fixed mine. Go to Library/QuickTime: Remove obsolete QuickTime Components: FFusion, Xvid Delegate, 3ivX, DivX, DivX Decoder, XviD, msmpeg4v1, msmpeg4v2, AviImporter, EX_M4S2, Casio AVI Importer, AC3 Codec, Sorenson and MatroskaQT.

Check that the 3ivx file is actually removed from there. Many users reported success playing back videos once removing those files.

I kind of get the impression that if you reinstall Perian, then uninstall Perian, you may get rid of the interfering codecs.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Ian Fitter's picture
by Ian Fitter
November 11, 2011 - 12:51am

Having similar issue. In my case, it seemed to start after upgrading to Aperture 3.2, although it also probably coincided with upgrade to Lion, hence the PowerPC codecs causing the issue.

Will try Joseph’s suggestion and post back.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness