You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
best export settings for Apple Print Services #1
larry temins's picture
by larry temins
July 22, 2012 - 12:51am

I have used Apple print services on several occasions both from iPhoto and more recently from Aperture. I have been disappointed with the print quality when using Aperature. Up to now all my images have been shot in JPEG but I recently switched cameras and now shoot only RAW.
This got me wondering whether I am using the best settings for export. I have my on-screen proofing profile set to Generic CMYK because somewhere (don't remenber where) I read that Apple Print Services uses CYMK. My Image export settings are JPEG 1024 x 1024 with DPI 72 (ssems intuitively low) and color profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (CYMK isn't a listed option?).

Are these the best settings for exporting to Apple Print Services?

thanks in advance

Larry

Craig Andrews's picture
by Craig Andrews
July 22, 2012 - 1:17am

I’m going to let someone who really knows what they are talking about answer you but I will let you know what I think. I print books through Apple created with Aperture and I can’t see 72 DPI being a good setting for printing. I always use 300 when outsourcing to a Lab. I am very happy with the quality of the press printed books. Are you sending for photographic prints? If I recall, when creating a book I simply use the Raw files (or TIFF if I’ve edited) and then hit the export button to send it to Apple.

I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
July 22, 2012 - 1:47am

I always use original size if I’m ordering prints at 300 dpi. 72 is traditionally used for web images.

The optimal size of of your image depends on the size of print you are making. Apple have minimum size recommendations depending on the size of your print. Basically unless you are printing 4 x 6, 1024 is too small. This help section is limited and doesn’t mention DPI.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1135

larry temins's picture
by larry temins
July 24, 2012 - 6:46am

My apologies. Rereading my original post I realize that I neglected to mention that I was dealing with a Photo Book as opposed to individual prints. Nonetheless I have learned from the replies.

Still not happy with the discrepancy between what I see on the screen (and I did calibrate my screen) and what was printed in the book-but it is only 2-3 images out of ~150 so I will live with it. Going forward I will just be careful about images that are on the dark side.

larry temins's picture
by larry temins
July 22, 2012 - 11:22pm

Craig, Sarah,

thanks for your replies.

It was only after I received my latest photo book from Apple that I started to think about the export settings. Of course the individual images are of different sizes depending on the page layout, some are quite small and some might be as large as a full page or two pages if I have used a full spread. So I wonder what are the “best” export settings which would cover the entire book.

Craig Andrews's picture
by Craig Andrews
July 22, 2012 - 11:55pm

Larry I’m in my late 50’s and struggle with all this technical terminology relating to computers and stuff, so I might not be the best one to be replying to you. When I have finished building a book layout in Aperture, I simply hit the “Buy Book” button and after going through the purchase info screens it gets uploaded. I don’t recall any options for export settings. Like I said earlier, I use the full size raw file and or edited tiff from my Aperture Library. Others here can chime in here to let you know how they operate.

I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
July 23, 2012 - 12:43am

Larry, I didn’t realise you were talking about making a book, I thought it was normal prints.

If doing a book, then as Craig says, no need to resize use the Raw/edited tiff then you’ll get the best possible quality. It takes a while to upload to the Apple server, but it’s worth it. I’ve had quite good success with the books from Apple.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness