You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Best Mac specs for using Aperture? #1
Josh Daniel's picture
by Josh Daniel
July 28, 2014 - 7:33pm

I’m thinking of buying a new iMac and am wondering if anyone has tips for what hardware I should consider–how fast a processor I need, which video card and with how much memory, etc.

I ask because I’ve been running Aperture on my fairly old MacBook. It’s started to choke on the larger files, especially since I bought a DSLR and started shooting larger RAW images. It’s come to the point where Aperture is almost unpleasant to use because it’s so slow. 

I’m an amateur who does what I’d guess is average (maybe less than average) editing on stills. Little to no video editing. 

Obviously the more I spend, the better it will run–I’m just trying to find that sweet spot between price and performance on an iMac. 

bjurasz's picture
by bjurasz
July 29, 2014 - 3:50pm

I bought a 2012 27” iMac with the upgraded i7, upgraded video card, and the 3TB drive.  Later I added more RAM.  I really believe I could have done without the i7 and instead got the Fusion drive.  Not even sure the video card upgrade was worth it.  But more RAM and the Fusion drive (or an SSD) should be tops on your list.

Bill Jurasz
Austin Texas

Josh Daniel's picture
by Josh Daniel
July 30, 2014 - 12:36am

Thanks, Bill, good to know!

wuns chtaria's picture
by wuns chtaria
April 21, 2023 - 4:35am

I invested in a 2012 27” iMac with a 3TB HDD, upgraded video card, and i7 processor.  Later, I increased my RAM.  I firmly believe that I could have gotten by with the Fusion drive instead of the i7.  Not even sure if the upgraded visual card was worthwhile.  The Fusion drive (or an SSD) and more RAM, however, ought to be at the top of your agenda.  geometry dash

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness