You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Best program for backing up referenced masters #1
Tony Schönberg's picture
by Tony Schönberg
March 11, 2013 - 7:50am

I've been searching the forum regarding this and I understand there are several options.
I'm new to mac and aperture and I am just setting up my aperture library, so please forgive my ignorance.

Have 350Gb of pictures on a NAS stored in orderly fashion; YY/MM/DD [description] witch I am now importing as referenced masters on an external USB 3 drive.
The aperture library is backed up by time machine to my NAS (I hope) and I would like my referenced masters backed up there to.
I want my referenced masters backup on my NAS in the same YY/MM/DD order as on my external drive.
Darn, I just want a program that copy my external drive to a folder on my NAS on a regular basis.

What program should I use? Am I thinking right here?
Any advise helpful!

/Tony

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
March 11, 2013 - 8:06am

I have been using Carbon Copy Cloner for years with great success … which up until recently was free or donation ware … I have heard good things about Chronosync as well.

Both options do a great job of duplicating your exact file/folder structure of your working drive to your backup drive … as well as building bootable clones of your computer’s startup drive. If your working copy would fail, you can just point Aperture to your backup and continue on with your work.

Backups can be scheduled and run in the background, or manually invoked as needed. You can even set up a scheduler in CCC to begin on each occasion when a drive is attached. I would assume Chronosync would have a similar feature. For example, both my working and backup drives are online to my system much of the time. I also keep a duplicate set of drives off site that are backed up weekly oe as needed after large or very important shoots. I use a SATA drive dock and plug in the dives as needed and when they mount, CCC initiates the backup for that drive. When that drive is done, I eject that drive and move on to the next drive.

I think both options come in at around the $40 range and are well worth the investment.

Bob Rockefeller's picture
by Bob Rockefeller
March 11, 2013 - 9:47pm

You could let Time Machine handle the referenced files, too. That also makes it easy to visually surf through different versions back in time.

Bob

Bob
----------
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA
www.bobrockefeller.com

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
March 11, 2013 - 10:11pm

I echo Butch’s comments from the Chronosync side. I use it to clone my referenced photos to an external Raid 5 drive, and backup my library. It can be scheduled, maintains archives of deleted files for a specified time, and can be used to incrementally backup your Aperture library, similar to the Vault but on a schedule. Not sure about Time Machine backups of your library…there used to be issues with that approach. Maybe the problems are fixed, maybe not. I exclude Aperture libs from Time Machine just in case.

Tony Schönberg's picture
by Tony Schönberg
March 16, 2013 - 4:38pm

Thanks everyone!
Tried out CCC and it seems to have the functionality I need.
I’ll let time machine do its thing and use CCC to copy my referenced masters catalogue and the Aperture library to my RAIDed NAS on a daily basis.

Thank you for your time and input.

/Tony

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
March 12, 2013 - 12:53am

I think Time Machine is a great option for a live backup of your startup drive … but for many users it isn’t such a great option if you have a large amount of referenced images on multiple external drives. Secondly, while you could use Time Machine to restore your referenced files … you really can’t easily or efficiently access the images from the TM backup itself … whereas, if you have an exact duplicate for your backup and the working drive would fail .. you can continue your work without issue employing the backup drive …

Heck, if you change the backup drive name to your failed working drive name … you don’t even have to “Relocate Masters” in Aperture … Depending upon how many images you would lose to a drive failure … it could take many hours … even a day or two to restore a working drive to the point where Aperture would be back up to speed …

Russell's picture
by Russell
March 12, 2013 - 6:11am

SuperDuper! is another alternative & the one I use having switched off TM altogether. I schedule it to run once a day, every day when I’ve finished bashing pixels & usually run an unscheduled backup if I’ve done a lot of work in one go.

In fact, I think that TM causes more than a few problems with it running so frequently & I’m pretty sure that it’s one of the factors involved in the recurrent problems we’re seeing in Aperture & L****room.

Russell

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness