You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Best way to use Desktop and Laptop with Aperture #1
Abbas Jaffar's picture
by Abbas Jaffar
July 28, 2012 - 7:51pm

Hello-

I'm new to Aperture and I was wondering if I could get some help from you guys on how you work with Aperture. I have the first generation Mac Pro and recently bought the new Retina MBP. The idea is to keep the Masters on my Mac Pro since I have it equipped with a 2TB drive. On my MBP, I would like to take some Projects/Albums along but dont need the Masters.

What do you guys suggest is the best way of doing this? Ideally, I would also love to sync back any work I did on my MBP to my Mac Pro.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 29, 2012 - 4:43am

There’s quite a few ways to do this but the most popular is to use Aperture’s export “Project as Library” feature on the main machine and then copy this over to your second machine. From there you can treat it just as a library or merge that with the library on your second Mac.

Abbas Jaffar's picture
by Abbas Jaffar
July 29, 2012 - 4:58am

Thanks Michael-

Since both my machines are on the same network when I’m at home, is there a way to do this wirelessly instead of creating a USB stick or something for exporting.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 29, 2012 - 6:55am

Yes, though it may be faster to use a flash drive or hard drive if you have large files.

The easiest way is probably to use the AirDrop feature of OS X. In Finder open a new window on each mac, and on the sidebar there should be an item for AirDrop. (If it’s not there, you can get to it from the Go menu.) Then drag your exported library on the icon of the Mac you want to receive the file, and then you can confirm the transfer on that Mac and it will copy everything over.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
July 30, 2012 - 4:41am

Keep in mind that AirDrop is not available on all Macs that can run Lion/Mountain Lion … only some of the most recent models have the proper Airport wireless cards that can support AirDrop

- MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)*
- MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)*
- iMac (Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010).

* The MacBook Pro (17-Inch Late 2008) and the white MacBook (Late 2008) do not support AirDrop.”

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness