You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blank Projects #1
Adam James's picture
by Adam James
October 10, 2013 - 6:43pm

Hello, so I have been using aperture for the last couple of years with no issues. I'm currently running 3.4.5 and keep my aperture library stored on an external G-tech 2TB hard-drive. I have a 27” iMac, Intel Core i5.

Recently I decided it was time to filter out some of the many duplicates within my library. I downloaded the ADD app of of the apple app store with mind to using this.

In short I started the process of tagging dupes in the library using this software, but never actually followed this up by deleting them.

As far as I could tell at that point my aperture library was still behaving normally, in that I could see all of my projects and images contained within.

It could well be the case that something happened in this process which has caused the following problem but I am at a loss as to what it could be?

I turned aperture on yesterday and to my shock found that the majority of my projects now show as blank when I view the projects in the library tab.
Whats stranger still is that the blank projects show the correct amount of items contained within, but when I open the project I get a grey screen with no images.
Its no surprise I'm sure to find that the same projects are blank under the projects list.

Further confusion ensued when I exported one of these blank projects as a new library, and after clicking show package contents on the export, found the 'missing' images within the masters file?

I have ran the three levels of repair as per the apple tech advice, but have still come up with the same problem. I have also un-installed, re-installed and updated the app and still have the same problem?

Could it be the case that there is some kind of filter in place that I'm missing? I cant see how this could be the case though as the projects show the item numbers contained within and the project folders have blank search boxes?

I'm beginning to panic, just a bit as I have many years worth of photos and associated projects in there. I am of course feeling like a complete fool for not having backed up my library using time-machine. Its pretty much the only think I haven't backed up on it.

As I understand it all of my photos are not missing per se, in the sense that they are all still on my hard-drive. But there must be corruption of some kind within my aperture library?

I'm a bit flummoxed as I don't think anything has changed in the last week or so, and last time I ran it it was working fine.

I have just come back from a week long shoot in sherwood forest and have a monstrous amount of photos to unload and am more than a little wary of dropping these into my wobbly aperture library.

Any help will of course be immensely appreciated.

Adam :)

Martin's picture
by Martin
April 2, 2015 - 6:38pm

A really old post I know, but it came up in a search. I don’t know about ADD specifically, but I do know it sets keywords to mark duplicates, and the situation described can happen when you have a search filter set, say to find all occurrences of a keyword set by ADD for duplicates, but if the search term doesn’t match anything, you get a seemingly empty project, despite the project overview screen showing thumbnails and the number of photos in it. So, for anyone landing here looking for answers, check the search box in the upper right; if there is a filter active, there will be an x in the search box you can click to clear the filter and show everything. Also remember the search filter is sticky, if you go into another project and then come back, the filter for each project is still active; so where some projects might be filtered by 3 stars or better, another might filter for a colour label, and another for a keyword like “duplicate”. And wherever the search term doesn’t match anything in that project, the project will appear empty.

Beyond that, I cannot think what might cause it. Hopefully the OP found the solution to his problem.

patchfacility's picture
by patchfacility
June 8, 2023 - 4:31am

Say you wanted to find all occurrences of a keyword that had been set by ADD to check for duplication; nevertheless, if the search term didn’t match anything, you would get a project that appeared to be empty, despite the fact that the project overview screen showed thumbnails and the total number of images in the project. If you have arrived at this page seeking for information, you should look in the search box that is located in the upper right corner funny shooter 2. If there is a filter that is currently being used, there will be a “x” in the search box that you may click to remove the filter and display all of the results. 

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?